issue: vegas and monitor mix

The First Don

hi I am having an issue with monitoring vegas 4.0 on windows xp media edition 2002. it is on a dell inspiron e1505 laptop.

I have an RCA line in, routed from an external mixer.

I get line in levels in vegas, and the audio signal gets recorded, but I can not hear the line in signal during recording.

The vegas master is monitored just fine during recording, and anything that has been previously recorded is heard. It is only the line in that is not audible.

My monitors are head phones.

Any help would be awesome since the lack of monitor is ruining the performances.

Thanks.

if it is an onboard soundcard, it probably will not have the ability to monitor a live signal while recording. Check the mixer settings for the onboard sound and see if there is anything you can do there but dont get your hopes up. You should probably consider a proper audio interface

You're fighting a 40-cent soundcard. From my newbie posts:

Still using a built-in soundcard?? Unfortunately, those are made with less than $1 worth of chips for beeps, boops and light gaming (not to mention cheapness for the manufacturer) and NOT quality music production.

#1 Rule of Recording: You MUST replace the built-in soundcard.

Here's a good guide and tested suggestions that WORK: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm
(you'll want to bookmark and read through all of Tweak's Guide while you're there...)

While it still may be a soundcard issue and you should look into the audio interface, it may be something as simple as checking to make sure that your inputs for the rca's aren't on mute. i would double check through the windows volume control before investing more money then ya need to.

hi I am having an issue with monitoring vegas 4.0 on windows xp media edition 2002. it is on a dell inspiron e1505 laptop.

I have an RCA line in, routed from an external mixer.

I get line in levels in vegas, and the audio signal gets recorded, but I can not hear the line in signal during recording.

The vegas master is monitored just fine during recording, and anything that has been previously recorded is heard. It is only the line in that is not audible.

My monitors are head phones.

Any help would be awesome since the lack of monitor is ruining the performances.

Thanks.
After you click the track's record button, (to arm the audio track for recording) a new track properties button appears to its left. This enables you to choose the input source device and channel for that track. Click on that new button and make sure the "Input Monitor" is checked. This turns the monitoring feature on and off on a per-track basis.

Hope this helps.

Back