Is This SS?

Possibly a side effect of sticky shed. Crumbs like this often come off guides and lifters while fast winding. Was that pile produced by a whole tape or just a short section?

One song.
I'm asking because the tape was baked for 24 hours, then rested for same.

It seems baking it not all it's cracked up to be.
Bought a dehydrator on advice - now see it as a waste of $.

One song.
I'm asking because the tape was baked for 24 hours, then rested for same.

It seems baking it not all it's cracked up to be.
Bought a dehydrator on advice - now see it as a waste of $.
Depending on the tape formulation and level of deterioration, sometimes you are lucky to get one chance at playback to transfer to another medium. I run into many I couldn't save due to poor storage conditions over the years. I still have my analog 8 track but my archive has long been digitized. Keeping it for a friend who keeps putting off doing the work. You're working with old analog and complaining about wasting money? LOL.

To me it looks more like edge damage on the guides, the fact that it's come off as whiskers, for example, looks like it's been shaved off the side of the tape or something.

I've not had sticky shed problems much because I started recording after most of the problems were solved with the tape stocks, but I did have an old test tape which shed white muck over the transport. That was 406.

What temperature are you setting the dehydrator to? Have you checked that the dehydrator actually reaches the required temperature by using a temperature probe?

That's pretty much the temperature that I would use for most Ampex tape. 24 hours should be plenty long enough although I know Ted Kendall has suggested that some tapes need up to 72 hours. Are you filling up the dehydrator with tapes? I find it better to fill the dehydrator as this gives a bigger thermal mass which means things heat and cool slower. If I'm baking only one or two tapes I'll put a full 2" reel in the bottom to increase the thermal mass.

Try filling it up with more tapes - or something else that will add thermal mass. I'm sure I've had fewer tapes shedding like that since I added the extra 2" tape.

Back