Is it ok to buy a cpu which I know runs hot? Ryzen 5800X

easybullet3

I’m building a desktop for Cubase 10 Pro (hobby song-writer)
But also will be using for Adobe Premiere (hobby editing)

The CPU I really want is the Ryzen 5800X

Many people online saying how it runs hot, and others advising you can easily reduce the temp to a good level by decreasing the PPT, TDC and EDC in the BIOS.

Each person has their own particular amount which they reduce the PPT, TDC & EDC. So that is for me to experiment with.

Does this sound like an ok approach to deal with this situation? or is it silly of me to be buying a CPU which knowingly runs hot ?

If it is hot and happy, there may not be a problem.
CPUs get hot when you drive them to the limit of their capabilities.
When designing for reliability, you pay attention to timing requirements and clock rates, and build in comfortable safety margins.
If you crank up the clock rates, for performance, you are throwing away those safety margins.
It gets hot where two signal sources are trying to drive the same connection with opposing values. They are fighting each other.
I'd have to look up what PPT,TDC, and EDC are, but decreasing them means that you are not being so hard on those safety margins.

I have never been able to afford a top spec cpu, but have found a decent i3, and i5 to be adequate for running cubase.
Mind you, I don't use lots of plugins and VSTs.

If you are a computer nerdy type person, tweak those things at your own risk, because you probably have the skills to see and understand what they do. If you are 'normal' stay away from this kind of thing. Raymond is dead right. Music folk want something reliable, and that usually means away from the edge, in safe territory. Going for cutting edge processors, seems a little unnecessary - for us, music workers, we want fast transfer of data - so put money into speedier drives, maybe a better video card to take the work of the processor, leaving it for the audio, and bags of memory, loads of external socketry for gizmos, decent backup, and as much storage can you can afford, spread over multiple drives. Cubase (which I have too) is not demanding on the processor, but if like me, you like sampling and synth VSTi sounds you start to generate a lot of data movement in and out. Mine CPU is now 5 years old and was not the fastest when I got it (i5) and is only now starting to add delays when opening up big packages - shifting in 2Gb of samples takes time, so I'm starting to have to wait more and more. When it gets annoying it will be new computer time - which for me will be a motherboard and processor bundle, from the current mid-range, not top end.

As for tweaking the things you mention - I'll not go there. I just make sure every computer had enough silent cooling slower, bigger, quieter fans, not little ones running at mach 2.

Back