Interview Recording- H4N + lav mics

kyleds8

Hello all,

I record interviews, myself and interviewee, and I would like to use my Zoom H4N Pro with two wired Rode Lav Go mics to record both tracks onto H4N. So far I have tried plugging the 3.5mm TRS Lav mics into the 1/4" inputs using 3.5mm-1/4" adapter, and even using 3.5mm TRS- TRRS adapter in between, but the H4N will not pick up the Lav mics. I have a suspicion the 1/4" adapter in some way only works as a headphone output, rather than a mic input. Does that make sense? Can anyone explain the situation to me, and hopefully offer a solution? I'm already invested with this gear, and it would be very helpful to record both tracks onto H4N, as currently using two recorders I am getting constant syncing issues.

Many thanks!

Lavs- (https://rode.com/en-us/microphones/lavalier-wearable/lavalier-go)

Have you looked at Section 6-3 in the Zoom manual concerning Plug-In Power? Your lav mics require 2.7V (not phantom power). Looks like some quick settings might do the trick.

The 1/4 inch plugs are designed for things like a guitar or keyboard input. They dont provide the 2.7volts that you need for the Rode Go. There is a 1/8" plug on the back that is designed to accept a stereo external mic and supplies power, but I can't find any information on how to configure that plug to work with two Rode mics.

The external mic input is a 1/8" TRS plug and is supposed to provide Plug In Power but it is configured for stereo use.. The Rode uses a PIP TRS but it's mono. You might plug one straight into that connector (on the back above the speaker) to see if it works. I don't know if you can use an adapter to split that to two connections for the Lav Go mics. Maybe contact Rode to see if there is a proper adapter to use two mics with a stereo PIP input.

From the Manual: Press the Menu button, then use the scroll wheel to scroll down to INPUT and press the dial wheel. Scroll to PHANTOM and press the dial wheel. There are three options, OFF, +48V, and +24V, choose the one you require, then press the dial wheel. To exit the menu, press the MENU button twice.

Get a TRS 1/8" to TRS 1/4' adaptor for each Lavalier - set you Phantom for +24V - and it will work as expected.

51nyhDqE6hL._AC_SL1124_.jpg

Sorry Pap, but that won't work. The 1/4" jacks on the H4n don't supply phantom power, just the XLRs. I just tried it with both an XLR ->1/4" TRS cable and an XLR -> XLR w/TRS adapter into my H4n. Neither works. The mic into the XLR works just fine.

Measuring the voltages, with the XLR cable, Pins 1-2 and 1-3 both measured 45.5V. Pins 2-3 were 0.00. Using the TRS to XLR, all connections measure 0.00.
The Rode Lav Go needs 2.7V, not 24 or 48. That has to come from the 1/8" jack on the back. The trick is to know how the Rode is wired. Many stereo PIP (aka Bias) jacks are Tip - Ch1, Ring - Ch2 and Sleeve - Grd, and the Power goes from Tip to sleeve and ring to sleeve. Not knowing how the Rode mic is wired makes it a problem.

This article explains the common PIP setups in use: https://diymics.com/why-you-shouldnt-rely-on-microphone-plug-in-power/

Back