Interface and DAW question

Whats happening? So a little over a year ago I bought the PresSonus studio in a box (pause for laughter)! Ok so the question I have is that after much trial and error and research I figured out that I wanted a better interface or at least better in terms of being optimized for guitar. I just pulled the trigger on the Focusrite Scarlet Solo. My question is: Is it bad to keep all the software that came with the other interface. Will it cause issues? I am making a list now because it came with the plug alliance and some other cool stuff. I don't really like the PreSonus DAW though. Hope that makes sense.

If the software works, and you like it, then perfectly fine! The Scarlet is a decent product - and most interfaces are just accepted by your computer for what they are - and your chosen software will be happy.

Too bad you didn't come here first. Not sure what the 'studio in a box' consisted of, but no doubt there was a Presonus audio interface included, which is really no different than the Scarlet Solo you bought. Neither one is 'optimized for guitar' (not even sure what you mean by that).

I've got software (DAWs and plugins) that were bundled with my interface and mini keyboard controller - I don't use any of them. I opted for a different DAW and everything plays well together.

Doesn't the Presonus Studio have more inputs than the Scarlet Solo? It looks ok to me.
I've had some good software come bundled with printers/scanners/cameras that way outlived the original product.

I have that interface. Does just fine. I use it now on my main stereo instead of the sound card. Not sure your new interface is going to be better.

I think the problem is that recording well is not as easy you may think. I know about 12 years ago I thought, hum, interface, software, how hard can it be? Well, I still am not that good and it has less to do with my equipment and more with my skill set.

Just trying to bring you in a little, magic equipment doesn't exist (that I know of). Don't take this as a lecture, just trying to keep you from going down the magic mushroom route.

Whats happening? So a little over a year ago I bought the PresSonus studio in a box (pause for laughter)! Ok so the question I have is that after much trial and error and research I figured out that I wanted a better interface or at least better in terms of being optimized for guitar. I just pulled the trigger on the Focusrite Scarlet Solo. My question is: Is it bad to keep all the software that came with the other interface. Will it cause issues? I am making a list now because it came with the plug alliance and some other cool stuff. I don't really like the PreSonus DAW though. Hope that makes sense.
There will be no issues between the Two Boxes software- as for optimized for guitar - The Focusrite wins this contest - as the input impedance is close enough to a Guitar Amp to be successful - but if you really want to nail the impedance you would have to built a resistor box that when matched with the Focusrite would emulate a guitar amp - that said it's hardly worth while for the teensy tiny bit of impedance matching you would achieve - As for the DAW that came with the Presonus - it's pretty bad in IMO - if you are on a Mac I would go with Logic/Garageband - if on a PC maybe Cubase or Reaper.

There will be no issues between the Two Boxes software- as for optimized for guitar - The Focusrite wins this contest - as the input impedance is close enough to a Guitar Amp to be successful - but if you really want to nail the impedance you would have to built a resistor box that when matched with the Focusrite would emulate a guitar amp - that said it's hardly worth while for the teensy tiny bit of impedance matching you would achieve - As for the DAW that came with the Presonus - it's pretty bad in IMO - if you are on a Mac I would go with Logic/Garageband - if on a PC maybe Cubase or Reaper.
I have a mac and garage band.
Too bad you didn't come here first. Not sure what the 'studio in a box' consisted of, but no doubt there was a Presonus audio interface included, which is really no different than the Scarlet Solo you bought. Neither one is 'optimized for guitar' (not even sure what you mean by that).
Issue is that the presonus interface is horrible with guitar.

I have that interface. Does just fine. I use it now on my main stereo instead of the sound card. Not sure your new interface is going to be better.

I think the problem is that recording well is not as easy you may think. I know about 12 years ago I thought, hum, interface, software, how hard can it be? Well, I still am not that good and it has less to do with my equipment and more with my skill set.

Just trying to bring you in a little, magic equipment doesn't exist (that I know of). Don't take this as a lecture, just trying to keep you from going down the magic mushroom route.
Issue with the presonus inteface is the massive clipping you get at any volume with a guitar.

That sounds like the input is not set properly. Is this the Audiobox USB 96 interface? You should be easily able to set a level. Should we assume that you're going direct into the interface, not using a mic on an amp? Is this an active pickup system or a passive guitar pickup? You have to use a different input setup depending on your instrument. Using something like a Taylor acoustic with a preamp is different from plugging in a Les Paul or Strat.

My interface has input switching as MIC/LINE or INST. I've seen some devices labeled MIC/INST or LINE. I don't know if the MIC/LINE and MIC/INST are the same as far as plugging a guitar into them. Maybe they are and they're just labeled differently according to their proprietary guidelines.

On mine, inserting a 1/4 Line from my Strat with passive single-coils, one setting is much louder than the other and easily clips.

Yes, as others have said, stable door locked but horse bolted. The F'rite Solo is very basic and I am sure you will soon be annoyed at the very limited I/O. One mic input is a joke for anyone even a bit serious about making music tracks.

The DAW/legacy software issue is a binary problem. It will work or it won't, suck it and see.

The input impedance of a guitar pre amp (DI in) is not at all critical and is in any case tied up with the exact PU circuitry in the guitar and the length and hence capacitance of the cable. Yes, valve input amps tend to have very close to 1meg Ohm but transistor amps, pedals and AIs can vary greatly, some are as low as 100k Ohms. Since people have a;ways been ignorant of this they did not detect any problems.

A hot humbucker indeed can overload some inputs and there was a famous AI a decade or so ago that had very poor headroom. I doubt that is a problem now but in any case, last time I looked all guitars had a volume pot!

Dave.

Yes, as others have said, stable door locked but horse bolted. The F'rite Solo is very basic and I am sure you will soon be annoyed at the very limited I/O. One mic input is a joke for anyone even a bit serious about making music tracks.

The DAW/legacy software issue is a binary problem. It will work or it won't, suck it and see.

The input impedance of a guitar pre amp (DI in) is not at all critical and is in any case tied up with the exact PU circuitry in the guitar and the length and hence capacitance of the cable. Yes, valve input amps tend to have very close to 1meg Ohm but transistor amps, pedals and AIs can vary greatly, some are as low as 100k Ohms. Since people have a;ways been ignorant of this they did not detect any problems.

A hot humbucker indeed can overload some inputs and there was a famous AI a decade or so ago that had very poor headroom. I doubt that is a problem now but in any case, last time I looked all guitars had a volume pot!

Dave.
I am not sure of any scenario where I would need more than one mic input at this point with how limited my skill set is. I am not ruling out still using the other interface as well. I just know that initial research indicates that the scarlet solo's instrument input is more suited for guitar in terms of direct recording.

"I am not sure of any scenario where I would need more than one mic input at this point with how limited my skill set is. I am not ruling out still using the other interface as well. I just know that initial research indicates that the scarlet solo's instrument input is more suited for guitar in terms of direct recording."

Many guitarist like to record both the DI'ed guitar and a microphone on an amplifier and sign along or perhaps inject a backing track, bass, drums. But my main objection to these 'one lunged' devices is that they are of THE most basic specification , as evidenced by the provision of RCA outputs instead of the much more standard and useful jacks.

I would also aver that there is little to choose between high Z interface inputs until you get to quite esoteric and expensive boxes that (claim to!) add some "tonal colour" which of course you may or may not like! Better to my mind to have an input that adds nothing to the signal leaving any effects up to the player post tracking.

Dave.

There are some audio interfaces that don't behave well with active pickup guitars, but the very simple solution for that is to put a stompbox in between guitar and interface that does NOT have direct-through, so it acts as a buffer to the hot signal.
I suspect the OP was plugging into the Presonus with the mic preamp on.

There are some audio interfaces that don't behave well with active pickup guitars, but the very simple solution for that is to put a stompbox in between guitar and interface that does NOT have direct-through, so it acts as a buffer to the hot signal.
I suspect the OP was plugging into the Presonus with the mic preamp on.
Yes, active guitars can give problems into solid state inputs (ask me about the very early HT-5 if you want to be bored rigid!) The problem is often, as I alluded to earlier, lack of headroom as a result of providing too much gain in the DI stage.
Guitarists coming from amplifiers, especially valve amplifiers, expect the windows to rattle with the amp pots at two! They expect the same high gain from an AI and it cannot be done.

Dave.

Literally every interface on the market today is fine to use with guitar (even your original interface I suspect, though I have no idea what actual PreSonus Interface you have). If you wanted something "guitar specific" I would have gone with the https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio/ not a Focusrite. Also something to think about which might not be something you'd look for... are your pickups too close to your strings? You could be clipping/distorting straight from the guitar... lower your pickups a tad and see if that helps at all.

Back