Install Question

Sky Blue Lou

I am coming in from wandering the desert for 15 years or so, Working on setting up my old machine. (Details over in the computer forum.) I have an earlier version of Reaper that I updated a few times but all in the version 2 lifespan. I do not expect to update free. The program is well worth the 60 bucks. My question is whether I should reinstall my old copy (2.85?) and then download the newest version or just skip right to the new version. I am concerned about hardware compatibility, will any of my old plugins, VSTIs and etc. work and questions of that nature.

I logged in at the Reaper forums but had to change my password and haven't been approved to post yet so here I'm is.

Thanx.

Reaper is robust, and will deal with hardware changes just fine. If you have DX plugines, they will continue to work with the 32 bit version of Reaper, but not with the 64 bit version. VST plugins should be fine with either version. For that reason I have 32 and 64 versions both installed . . . there are still some DX plugins that I am unwilling to ditch just yet. If you are reinstalling a v2 version, and it is effectively a fresh install, then you may as well go for a fresh install with the current version. If tt is not a fresh install, then reinstalling V2 will recall all its configuration settings, which may be useful.

If you don't want to pay for an upgrade right now, you should be able to move up to v3.9x with your v2.85 license. You get coverage for 2 full versions. Myself, I'm running 5.99. I pulled down V7 to look at but haven't played with it enough to see if I like it better.

Reaper is robust, and will deal with hardware changes just fine. If you have DX plugines, they will continue to work with the 32 bit version of Reaper, but not with the 64 bit version. VST plugins should be fine with either version. For that reason I have 32 and 64 versions both installed . . . there are still some DX plugins that I am unwilling to ditch just yet. If you are reinstalling a v2 version, and it is effectively a fresh install, then you may as well go for a fresh install with the current version. If tt is not a fresh install, then reinstalling V2 will recall all its configuration settings, which may be useful.
Whatever my config settings were this a completely fresh install of everything. Half the plugins I have/had are of unknown legitimacy and all are at least 10 years old if not substantially older. I'll probably ditch most of them anyway. Start fresh, pay as I go.

If you don't want to pay for an upgrade right now, you should be able to move up to v3.9x with your v2.85 license. You get coverage for 2 full versions. Myself, I'm running 5.99. I pulled down V7 to look at but haven't played with it enough to see if I like it better.
I don't even know where my original license file is so if I use my most recent install file it would likely be the eval version to start anyway. lol - this is what happens when you let life get in the way for 15 years!

Back