In search of optimal equalizer APO settings.

shapesbbq

Currently rocking an At2020 + UM2 setup for my PC. Have been tampering with some ReaPlug settings such as the compression and equalizer VST plugins but have found little no success in making my audio sound better. If anyone could link me to some great audio configuration setting videos or provide their own alteration of an At2020 setup using E APO that would be fantastic.

That's a decent mic and interface. It should sound reasonably good as is. And the eq settings someone else uses will be for their particular source and intended usage, so it probably won't apply to yours.

Maybe you should post a high quality mp3 sample for people here to hear and experiment with.

As was said, there is no universal setting as there are too many variables. You have to listen to what you have, imagine what you want, and set the eq to the difference between what you have and what you want.

What is 'E APO"?

In Windows Vista?

Currently rocking an At2020 + UM2 setup for my PC. Have been tampering with some ReaPlug settings such as the compression and equalizer VST plugins but have found little no success in making my audio sound better. If anyone could link me to some great audio configuration setting videos or provide their own alteration of an At2020 setup using E APO that would be fantastic.
Try ReaEQ - it has a bunch of presets for various vocals. One of them should get you in the ballpark or even work perfectly for your voice.

What DAW are you using? Or are you trying to do something other than record?

EQ is such a fickle beast, especially when it comes to EQ for a mic. I've never really hit upon anything by way of eq that was a great end solution. Most often it becomes some degree of a band-aid and often winds up sonically inferior to the original. Miniscule amounts of eq can be very effective but the user needs to have a pretty strong fundamental understanding of the frequency spectrum and how instruments and vocals best fit together. Even then it's enormously easy to become a dog endlessly chasing its tail in some undefined mission. In the end and especially when it comes to mic's the room becomes the single biggest factor in a good sound. Miles and miles before eq become effective. Chasing eq fixes in a bad room is hopeless and never results in an optimal outcome. A bad room is a bad room. With what knowledge and tools are at your disposal, I'd first find the very best solutions for your recording environment. Nothing will make a bigger difference and there is tons of info online as to how to identify and then address problematic sonics. I realize we all can't afford to completely fix bad sonic environments as that can be really expensive not to mention invasive to the room aesthetics, but I'd definitely sink more time and energy into fixing the room (to the best of your abilities) than looking for eq pre-sets. Just my 2 cents :)

Back