In Need of somebody who has experience in Home Studio!!!!!

TheHarrisons

New to this site, also the studio world so I had a few questions..
I Just purchased the NT1-A Mic, Focusrite Scarlett solo compact interface, Akai Professional 25-Key USB MIDI Drum Pad and Keyboard Controller with Joystick, Ableton Live 9, Mackie CR Series Studio Monitors, and Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphones... Question is, will this setup be able to produce a professional Sound? Basically is this a good Professional Studio setup, or have I made a mistake? Also I am a Vocal Singer Aimed more towards R&B, and I have sang for decades but professionally, this is all new to me, So will this setup be sufficient? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!!! Thanks for reading and hope Someone can help...

It's a decent basic system.

The one thing you haven't mentioned is the acoustics of your room. The three things that make the biggest difference are: your performance, your microphone and the room acoustics. Of the top three, performance and acoustics are the biggies. As long as you have an okay mic, the difference between a $200 and $2000 mic is relatively subtle.

The other comment I'd make is that the effort required to teach yourself how to record and mix must be considered. Home recording is not "plug and play". Just as with learning to play an instrument, you have to learn how to get the best out of your gear.

Finally...depending on your emphasis, Ableton Live 9 may or may not be the best for you. I'd describe it as a MIDI sequencer that can do live recording. However, if your emphasis is on live stuff with a bit of MIDI added on, you may do better with a different DAW.

What Bobbsy said. I'll add that learning to record takes YEARS just like any skill. It's not just learning which button to push, it's the entire process

And also - stop posting the same thing in multiple places across the forum. This place is very active, no need to do that, just put it in the correct section of the forum.

This is a standard noob question. Will a $1000 setup sound like Abbey Road, which has $750,000 in mics alone? No. Is it "professional"? That's a meaningless word. But- understand this. If I gave you a $1.5 million dollar studio, and I gave your entry-level setup to a *real* professional engineer, his recordings would sound better than yours. It's like asking, " I've got a bunch of real sharp scalpels, some sutures, alcohol, and a bunch of sodium pentathol. Can I get professional results with my abdominal surgery?" If I'm the patient, I'd rather have a real surgeon with that stuff than you with the operating theater of Massachusetts General. If you are looking for validation, the stuff you have bought is a perfectly good setup to begin learning how to record things. You won't get professional results, because *you're* not a professional. I've been at it for fifteen years, and there are guys on this board who have forgotten more about recording than I will ever know. Don't despair, and no, I'm not busting your ass, just giving you a reality check. You need to add a good cheap dynamic microphone to your basic setup, such as a Shure SM57. Dynamic and condenser mics are like the yin and yang of recording. They are very different basic tools, and you will need to learn to use both. Just go play. The more you record, and the more you begin to hear how much it sucks, the better your questions will get. As the questions you ask get better, you'll begin to understand the better answers you'll get. Most people here are trying to help you. What they said about your room- word. Better recording equipment will showcase the issues with a recording space that sucks. If you are like most noobs, your next question will be, "How do I get rid of the noise?" The horrifying answer will be- record where there is less noise, and find a way to make less noise. The magic wand you will want to do this doesn't exist. Best of luck. We're all in this together.

Geez Richard, 'finish a thought', hit 'enter every once in a while :D

Can't do it, Mixsit. Not, at least, in one short paragraph. Sorry, if that stresses the limits of your ADHD, go to Twitter and enjoy the meaningless one-liners. Empty space just promotes phase distortion.

This is a standard noob question. Will a $1000 setup sound like Abbey Road, which has $750,000 in mics alone? No. Is it "professional"? That's a meaningless word. But- understand this. If I gave you a $1.5 million dollar studio, and I gave your entry-level setup to a *real* professional engineer, his recordings would sound better than yours. It's like asking, " I've got a bunch of real sharp scalpels, some sutures, alcohol, and a bunch of sodium pentathol. Can I get professional results with my abdominal surgery?" If I'm the patient, I'd rather have a real surgeon with that stuff than you with the operating theater of Massachusetts General. If you are looking for validation, the stuff you have bought is a perfectly good setup to begin learning how to record things. You won't get professional results, because *you're* not a professional. I've been at it for fifteen years, and there are guys on this board who have forgotten more about recording than I will ever know. Don't despair, and no, I'm not busting your ass, just giving you a reality check. You need to add a good cheap dynamic microphone to your basic setup, such as a Shure SM57. Dynamic and condenser mics are like the yin and yang of recording. They are very different basic tools, and you will need to learn to use both. Just go play. The more you record, and the more you begin to hear how much it sucks, the better your questions will get. As the questions you ask get better, you'll begin to understand the better answers you'll get. Most people here are trying to help you. What they said about your room- word. Better recording equipment will showcase the issues with a recording space that sucks. If you are like most noobs, your next question will be, "How do I get rid of the noise?" The horrifying answer will be- record where there is less noise, and find a way to make less noise. The magic wand you will want to do this doesn't exist. Best of luck. We're all in this together.

Good advice, the home recording route is more of a quest than a hobby, the quest never ends! but aint it a hoot? :laughings:

Back