I need help with my VS 2480

circleone420

Hey whats up Everyone. Im working with a Roland VS 2480 digital recording workstation. Ive been using it for personal home recording use and now would like to build a studio to record bands. I would like to get a general idea of how I can enhance the sound and build a bigger and better studio setup off it. Even though its powered should I get good mic pres?? If so, how does it help the recording? I can record up to 16 tracks at the same time so does that mean I need a 16 channel mic pre? Im basically looking into rack units but I also know that Mic's play a big role also. The unit is great but I want to take it to the next level so that I can record bands semi-profesionaly.Doesnt matter if its expensive or not. Just as long as I get an idea of what i need to complete this setup. I would appreciate anybodys advice....thanx

Eric

Check out the studio building and displays thread you might find some material interesting regarding your interests.

I have the VS2000. Buying a mic pre would be huge plus for you since the pres in the VS machines are not the most musical things out there. If you want to go all out you could get a preamp with a digital out. You could go into your roland via SPDIF and completely bypass its preamps. That's what I do on my VS2000. I've heard great things about the Grace Designs V3 and the Apogee Mini Me. Or you could spend a ton of $$ and get a NEVE DPD. Nowadays there are a lot of preamps with digital outs.

One other thing. I don't know about the 2480 but the 2400 has this RBUS thingy where you can import tracks digitally. You may want to look into it.

I have a vs2480cd and when I try to power up I get a message on screen Sub System Not Response, has any one had this happen on there vs ?

Last edited:
Back