I know this topic is discussed a lot but, budget SDC, and other questions

L Oquence

So unlike a lot of people, I didn't spend a lot of time in the low end trying to find a good mic, because, I got lucky and was recommended an sm58 but an employee at guitar center when I started recording at 15, and it sounds great and has helped out a lot since, I love how with a just a high pass and boost to the top end it sits right in most mixes, however I've used it so much I guess I'm... bored with the sound? It will always be my go to microphone however.

However I'm starting to do pop-sounding vocal layers now (think the singing on eminem's not afraid), even though I usually rap, and I also am starting to do softer parts such as whispering and more conversational vocals, and want a more sensitive mic with a more "airy" sound to pick these up.

I also am looking for a few cheap/good (I know these rarely go together) outboard vocal effects processors, a vocoder and a harmonizer. They don't have to sound super amazing, it's just that my daw and platform are old (I'm using a power mac g5 and garageband.), and I haven't been able to find a plugin vocoder and harmonizer that work, if this particular thing doesn't work, then oh well but I figure I'd try.

If you also have any recommendations on audio interfaces in the $100 dollar range, that would be great, I just need an xlr/instrument line in as well as an rca red/yellow input (this is more important than the xlr/line in.), midi is optional but not required, I have an outboard preamp on my mixer so it doesn't have to have the best pres.

I'd say my overall price range is $300-ish, give or take $30-40. I'd prefer about $100 each device but if that division is different it's okay.

Back