I just realized, Led Zeppelin had no backup singers

ACDC seem to have mics for the other guys, but there are no back vocals in their tunes as far as harmonies go. Those mics are for their "Gang vocals" choruses that they all sing in unicent to give it a "gang" sound, like "Honey! What do you do for money!". No harmonies in ACDC.
I have found that some singers have a difficult time harmonizing. Not that they can't sing, they get pulled off their part by the other harmonies or the lead line.

I have found that some singers have a difficult time harmonizing. Not that they can't sing, they get pulled off their part by the other harmonies or the lead line.
Definitely. I've also played with guys that don't understand what a harmony even is. They'll sing an octave higher or lower than the lead and think they're doing harmonies.

Harmony is one aspect of music that always draws me in. Mamas and Papas, Beatles, CSNY, Beach Boys, Simon and Garfunkel, Eagles. Old Doo Wop music, the soul groups of the 60s, Everly Brothers, Supremes, the Lettermen. The list is long.

Sure, I love a great rock and roll song and a great guitar solo as much as the next guy, but throw in some great vocal harmonies and I'm hooked.

Harmony is one aspect of music that always draws me in. Mamas and Papas, Beatles, CSNY, Beach Boys, Simon and Garfunkel, Eagles. Old Doo Wop music, the soul groups of the 60s, Everly Brothers, Supremes, the Lettermen. The list is long.

Sure, I love a great rock and roll song and a great guitar solo as much as the next guy, but throw in some great vocal harmonies and I'm hooked.
I'm with you. When I go see a cover band (Not that I do any more, but when I used to), I find it separates the "good" bands from the "great" bands. A band that can do proper 3 or 4 part harmonies will always stand out.

As a side note, that's what disappointed me the most when I saw Queen live in 1975 (1977?) (Thin Lizzy opened the show). For the middle of Bohemian Rhapsody, they went for a costume change and played a recording instead of doing the opera part. I'm still bitter about that. I've seen cover bands do that part live and, while it will never sound as big as the record, I've seen cover bands do a decent job. The fact that Queen wimped out on that part and played a recording instead has always left a bad taste in my mouth about those guys.

Last edited:
I'll bet anything that it's Plant doing both parts in the studio.

EDIT: Sorry, you're talking about "No Quarter", but I was thinking of "The Ocean" for some reason
I remember when I got "Houses of the Holy" back in 1980. I used to be a right nerd when it came to the info on the sleeve. I used to log the writers of each song, the producer and who played what if it said on the sleeve, all the info. I was quite impressed that Jones and Bonham did the harmonies on the "La la la la la la / La la la la la la la la laaaa...." For some odd reason, that's always stuck in my head.
I was just watching a show called "The Contrarians" and the topic they were discussing was "Led Zeppelin III." Anyway, one of the speakers {a guy called Peter Jones} referred to John Bonhan as a great singer when he did harmonies and backing vocals live. To be honest, I wouldn't know. I always found Zeppelin a pale shadow live of their studio selves.
Glenn Hughes has done a lot of lead vocal work with both Trapeze and Black Country Communion
He was actually the lead singer {and bassist and one of the writers} in Trapeze. They were a great band, a heavy rock trio whose members all went on to greater things, with Hughes going to Purple, Mel Galley going to Whitesnake {a much-underrated guitarist and songwriter} and Dave Holland going to Judas Priest. I don't think anything any of them did beats Trapeze's album "Medusa", from 1970. Heavy rock gold.
I like Hughes' singing, but I find him to be overrated. The way people talk about him, you'd think that once you've heard his voice, you'll be happy to go deaf and never hear a vocalist again. I love the songs he sings on "Medusa" and "You are the music, we're just the band," but I can think of many vocalists I prefer.

I was quite impressed that Jones and Bonham did the harmonies on the "La la la la la la / La la la la la la la la laaaa...."
So, you're saying it was Bonham on the record too? There you go. Good thing I didn't actually bet. :D I thought it was Plant doing both tracks.

You learn something new every day, as trivial as it might be. :)

As a side note, that's what disappointed me the most when I saw Queen live in 1975 (1977?) (Thin Lizzy opened the show). For the middle of Bohemian Rhapsody, they went for a costume change and played a recording instead of doing the opera part. I'm still bitter about that. I've seen cover bands do that part live and, while it will never sound as big as the record, I've seen cover bands do a decent job. The fact that Queen wimped out on that part and played a recording instead has always left a bad taste in my mouth about those guys.
Same here. I remember getting the album "Live Killers" in 1980. I had really liked a lot of Queen's stuff from '74 onwards and I was particularly enamoured of "Bohemian Rhapsody." I remember the first time I heard it. I was 12 and it didn't occur to me that it was long, it didn't even consciously register that it went through so many moves. I just loved the song. So the live killers album has some good heavy rock and Queen's brand of diversity. Bo Rhap starts off really good. For a live version, it's remarkably listenable.
Then they get to the operatic part.
According to the sleeve notes, they left the stage and played the record ! They said something in the notes about it showing how much Queen wanted to give value for money or were ever so professional or something that gave the impression that they were the good guys.
Pfaffle !!
I never saw them as a premier league band after that, even though I like the album lots.

They said something in the notes about it showing how much Queen wanted to give value for money or were ever so professional or something that gave the impression that they were the good guys.
This is what the sleeve says:
It is unthinkable that the song could be omitted although the classic multi-layered "operatic" section was a purely studio creation. Fiercely opposed to playing with any kind of backing tape, the group solve the problem in typically uncompromising Queen manner. They leave the stage and play the record; the lights and the audience take care of the rest. The group re-enter to perform the last portion of the song to a guaranteed standing ovation
I still want to slap them for that !

Same here. I remember getting the album "Live Killers" in 1980. I had really liked a lot of Queen's stuff from '74 onwards and I was particularly enamoured of "Bohemian Rhapsody." I remember the first time I heard it. I was 12 and it didn't occur to me that it was long, it didn't even consciously register that it went through so many moves. I just loved the song. So the live killers album has some good heavy rock and Queen's brand of diversity. Bo Rhap starts off really good. For a live version, it's remarkably listenable.
Then they get to the operatic part.
According to the sleeve notes, they left the stage and played the record ! They said something in the notes about it showing how much Queen wanted to give value for money or were ever so professional or something that gave the impression that they were the good guys.
Pfaffle !!
I never saw them as a premier league band after that, even though I like the album lots.
I agree. Wow! They really tried to put a spin on that. I don't think many people fell for it.

I still think Freddie is one of the greatest vocalists ever, but that stunt left me empty. He also alters his melodies live a lot so that he doesn't sing some of the high notes. That bothers me.

Speaking of great singers, not many people know this guy because he's not a pop star. But from the first time I heard this until now, over 1000 times later, I still end up with tears in my eyes after this performance. If you listen with your eyes closed, you'll think it's 5 different people singing this song...

ACDC seem to have mics for the other guys, but there are no back vocals in their tunes as far as harmonies go. Those mics are for their "Gang vocals" choruses that they all sing in unicent to give it a "gang" sound, like "Honey! What do you do for money!". No harmonies in ACDC.
"Oy, oy, oy, oy, oy, oy, oy..."

LOL! Oh my dog, I just realized this thread is in "Prime Time". I told myself I would never come in here. :eek:

I saw it in the list of latest posts, and for some reason, I thought it was in the MP3 Clinic. I said to myself "This is a cool thread for the MP3 Clinic".

Last edited:
I still think Freddie is one of the greatest vocalists ever, but that stunt left me empty. He also alters his melodies live a lot so that he doesn't sing some of the high notes. That bothers me.
I agree that Freddie was a great vocalist. I actually really liked the fact that Queen had three premier vocalists in Freddie, Brian May and Roger Taylor. Kind of like with the Beatles, it gave them this really interesting scope.
But like you, it drives me up the wall when singers change the melodies of songs we know so well, when they perform[ed] live. Mick Jagger was terrible for that. He almost ditched the melody altogether ! Mind you, the Stones tended to ditch the music as well, when they played live. They sped up the songs and lost all nuance of what made their songs great. I remember watching "Gimme Shelter" and the way they perform "Street Fighting Man" in particular, left me thinking that it was a different song !

I agree that Freddie was a great vocalist. I actually really liked the fact that Queen had three premier vocalists in Freddie, Brian May and Roger Taylor. Kind of like with the Beatles, it gave them this really interesting scope.
But like you, it drives me up the wall when singers change the melodies of songs we know so well, when they perform[ed] live. Mick Jagger was terrible for that. He almost ditched the melody altogether ! Mind you, the Stones tended to ditch the music as well, when they played live. They sped up the songs and lost all nuance of what made their songs great. I remember watching "Gimme Shelter" and the way they perform "Street Fighting Man" in particular, left me thinking that it was a different song !
I think the Stones' attitude was, they are here to see us, music is secondary. I saw them in Munich in 90ish, I forgot what the European tour was called. But exactly what you stated, nothing was anywhere close to the recorded versions. Horns, 4-6 backup singers, I think another drummer.

Seemed like the band was more interested in looking good for the big screen cameras.

Yeah, the best live versions of any of their songs are on "Git Yer Ya Ya's out". I actually prefer that version of "Street Fighting Man" than the studio version.
But, I agree with you guys, they're horrible live aside from that.

I saw them at the Olympic Stadium here in Montreal for the Steel Wheels tour, (1989 maybe?) with Living Color opening up. They weren't even a rock and roll band by that time. Back-up singers, a horn section, a couple of keyboard players. It was like a frickin' Las Vegas show. Way too polished, everything seemed to be timed perfectly. Even the banter between songs came off rehearsed and re-hashed. It was horrible. And it's not as if Mick sang well. Same old mumbling through the songs...A big "TIMEX" sign over the stage (It was sponsored by TIMEX). It was as corporate, cold, and sterile as can be.

To me, that's when the Stones died. I mean, can anyone even name 3 songs from each of their last 7 albums? It's over. Even this horrendous new tune. People are trying to find something positive to say about it. It's pure hot fucking garbage. Nothing "Stones" about it. They couldn't sample Charlie's drums and at least make the drums sound decent? They sound like an over-compressed typewriter. The song itself is shit, too, considering they had 18 years to come up with something iconic.

I love the Stones. But I also hate the Stones. :)

Last edited:
Back