How to set up mic for livestreaming?

I have an EV RE20 and a focusrite scarlett solo interface and I'd like to start doing live streaming. From watching other live streams I see that people are able to put on a noise gate for live streaming among other things.

How does this work? Is this a program I need to download? How can I do live streaming with a noise gate applied and maybe EQ?

Thanks!

OBS has several built-in FX like a gate, EQ, compressor, and a few others. I *think* that it can host VST FX as well, but I've never tried it. But OBS is a great free way to livestream. It can interact directly with YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, and Twitter. It's certainly not perfect, and I've found it to be a little confusing and fiddly to get it right, but for a totally free app, it's pretty great.

I have an EV RE20 and a focusrite scarlett solo interface and I'd like to start doing live streaming. From watching other live streams I see that people are able to put on a noise gate for live streaming among other things.

How does this work? Is this a program I need to download? How can I do live streaming with a noise gate applied and maybe EQ?

Thanks!

What program are you recording in?

If your interface does not have DSP capabilities, then you have to use something like OBS and, personally, I found that fairly tedious. You have to use something like "Virtual Cable" to then expose the OBS-processed audio as an audio source in Zoom (at least on OS X - it may be built-in for the Windows version).

Adding software FX will possibly introduce latency, so then you will want to also send your existing webcam through OBS so you can correct for that latency (by delaying the video) and then use the OBS [virtual] video webcam in Zoom, instead of the "real" one. Like I said, it can get tedious.

I spent a fair amount of time wrangling this stuff and in the end only used OBS to manage two video streams, and just use the audio direct. (I did use slight compression DSP in my Steinberg UR-44c.) There was some slight, visible latency on a camera going through a "camera card" but it was at a distance where the audio sync was not important.

Personally, I would not bother, because if you have so much background noise you need a gate, it's going to be really obvious, and it would be better to address the problem. There are not many other FX that would make sense (to me) in a spoken word kind of meeting. For a musical performance, maybe you'd want some compression or limiting, but Zoom does do that to some degree. You may want to enable the "original sound" option [in Zoom] for better fidelity, but it depends on the kind of use case, e.g., music performances.

On a PC, Virtual Cam makes OBS appear to other software as a webcam.
It works that way on a Mac, too. I haven't checked OBS since May (?) but on a Mac, the problem is getting audio that goes into OBS to other apps. It takes a 3rd party kind of app to do that. Not unworkable, but a little clunky. I have seen some of the pro musicians that started with OBS have gone to a service (name escapes me).

Last edited:
Back