How to mix to a track?

brassplyer

How do you mix to a new track? Don't find this mentioned in the user guide. My main familiarity is with Cakewalk, Reaper seems to have avoided using the nomenclature found within Cakewalk.

Thanks!

Ok, I'm not at my REAPER right now, and it's not something I ever do, but from memory....

Let's say you want to bounce Tracks 1 & 2 to>>>>Track 3.

1) Solo tracks 1 & 2
B) Record Arm Track 3
3) Right click on the record button on Track 3 and select "Record Output".
D) I think you can also choose if you want to record to a stereo track or a mono track. If you want a stereo track, make sure to pan the source tracks (1 & 2) where you want them to end up in the stereo field.

There's a way to do it with folders, too, by recording into the "Parent Track".

Man, I hope I'm not steering you wrong. If I am, I'm sure someone will correct me. But, for now, it won't hurt anything if you follow those steps and see what happens.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm not at my REAPER right now, and it's not something I ever do, but from memory....

Let's say you want to bounce Tracks 1 & 2 to>>>>Track 3.

1) Solo tracks 1 & 2
B) Record Arm Track 3
3) Right click on the record button on Track 3 and select "Record Output".
D) I think you can also choose if you want to record to a stereo track or a mono track. If you want a stereo track, make sure to pan the source tracks (1 & 2) where you want them to end up in the stereo field.

Man, I hope I'm not steering you wrong. If I am, I'm sure someone will correct me. But, for now, it won't hurt anything if you follow those steps and see what happens.
That's how you mix tracks - it has to be done as a real time recording? There's no "Mixdown" function?

I don't think so. But I might be wrong. I haven't needed to do that in a long time. But I think that when I did want to do it, the only way was in real time.

As far as I know, it can't be done through the "Render" function, but I'd love to be wrong.

I'd love to have someone come in here and show us an easier way.

Last edited:
If there is no equivalent to a "Mixdown" function, the reason might be.........why would you need it? With unlimited tracks, folder options, track grouping, freezing, etc...why do you want to bounce?

I know that the reason I once needed to bounce was because I had a bunch of back vocal tracks in a project that was slowing down my computer. So, I bounced those 10 tracks down to1 and it fixed it.

Here's Kenny's video - He doesn't actually bounce to another track in the project, but it does create a bounced track that can be dragged into the project when done. Using Render doesn't allow for mixing on the fly.. his bouncing technique does.

If there is no equivalent to a "Mixdown" function, the reason might be.........why would you need it? With unlimited tracks, folder options, track grouping, freezing, etc...why do you want to bounce?

I know that the reason I once needed to bounce was because I had a bunch of back vocal tracks in a project that was slowing down my computer. So, I bounced those 10 tracks down to1 and it fixed it.
In this particular case I'm isolating a vocal by exactly lining up a vocal mixed with a track and the original track and phase inverting one of them. I know there are apps that do this but from the couple I've demo'd the results are lackluster.

Another reason might be to A/B different mixes.

Last edited:
Back