How to hook up 2 separate types of Mics to one program (pro tools, audacity, etc.) ?

ryemann

Hello,

a friend and I recently began recording a podcast, so we bought a second mic for our studio. We originally had one mic hooked up to pro tools through an M audio M-box. We then bought a Blue Snowball USB microphone. The only way we have been able to get them both working at the same time is by recording the M-box track through pro tools and then recording the blue snowball through audacity at the same time.

The question is is there any way to get both the USB mic and the M-box mic recording through a single program at the same time? It does not have to be pro tools.. willing to use audacity, acid pro, etc.

This is on a windows PC by the way.

thank you!
ryan

USB mics have so many compromises - and as your computer thinks it is an audio device, you need a software that can access two at the same time, and none of mine can - sorry. USB mics cause more problems than they ever solve. For what you are doing, buy a mixer, and get one with a USB output so you can record a blend of inputs - USB mics are just horrible for anything other than one to one recording.

How so? All the audio software I have requires you to select a specific device - none are able to select two at the same time? It isn't something ASIO4all can do is it? Managing two separate inputs? The control panel lists your devices and you can only select one?

Download the trial of Samplitude ProX and see if that works using MME drivers.

If so you can then probably use the free Sam ProX Silver.

Dave.

ASIO4all merges all of a systems WDM inputs into a single ASIO device. Basically, it reads every input device and presents itself to the software as a single ASIO driver with multiple inputs. (To my understanding)

Back