How to get low-fi acoustic fuzz without feedback

Hey all:

I'm trying to emulate the early Neutral Milk Hotel sound with a super fuzzy acoustic guitar. My acoustic has a built-in pickup, which I'm running through a Tascam MF P01 to a Tascam 424 MKii (gain cranked all the way up) and then a Scarlet 2i2 to Ableton. I'm getting the perfect fuzz, but with a horrendous amount of feedback/ambient noise. Any tips on how I might limit the background noise to get a cleaner signal?

Example of the tone I'm going for:

Thanks for any insights,
George

Hey all:

I'm trying to emulate the early Neutral Milk Hotel sound with a super fuzzy acoustic guitar. My acoustic has a built-in pickup, which I'm running through a Tascam MF P01 to a Tascam 424 MKii (gain cranked all the way up) and then a Scarlet 2i2 to Ableton. I'm getting the perfect fuzz, but with a horrendous amount of feedback/ambient noise. Any tips on how I might limit the background noise to get a cleaner signal?

Example of the tone I'm going for:

Thanks for any insights,
George

I assume you are running the Tascam recorders in series for the distortion? The Feedback you are getting is coming from the Pickup and leaking into the Headphones - or if you are running Nearfileds that is your problem - you need headphones. If headphones you need to isolate your signal more.

I assume you are running the Tascam recorders in series for the distortion? The Feedback you are getting is coming from the Pickup and leaking into the Headphones - or if you are running Nearfileds that is your problem - you need headphones. If headphones you need to isolate your signal more.

Hey, thanks for the tip. Can you say a little more about how to isolate the signal? Any tips? I've been trying to control ground loops by running the Tascams and my computer through the same surge protector. But any other insights on how to isolate my signal would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the tip. Can you say a little more about how to isolate the signal? Any tips? I've been trying to control ground loops by running the Tascams and my computer through the same surge protector. But any other insights on how to isolate my signal would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Just isolate the signal in the Headphones. I assume you have closed back headphones?

Back