How to finish equipping my studio (electric drum advice?)

MetalScar

Hi, new to the forums here and signed up because I need some real advice rather than relying on published reviews. I'll give you the TLDR version to start with...

Budget: £900
Need: electric drum kit and drum software (if going the midi route), USB input, microphone, DAW, monitors

I do have decent enough cans for the recording phase, so you can skip the monitors if you want to. A price-range suggestion would be very helpful, product opinions welcome too as I've not really bought any studio equipment for a decade. I'm not struggling so much with which products are better than others, just where the money is best spent.

I was thinking about a Roland TD-4KP, maybe a better or used kit on ebay, and have no issue with rubber pads or beater-less pedals, provided they sound authentic and can replicate most of the cymbal physics.

Which got me thinking - would I be smarter going with a a Roland TD-1KV or Yamaha DTX400 and getting Superior Drummer?

I'm probably going the Cubase Elements route, due to lack of restrictions, and the Focusrite inputs, Shure PGA181 or PGA27 seem like a safe bet?

Finally, the monitors... Realistically this could be the area to skimp on, if Creative T10s are good enough for the first few months while I'm getting used to the other equipment.

Any input appreciated, thanks for reading and hope this helps someone else in time!

Last edited:
Back