How to edit the vocals of a song?

Cutting Diamond

For starters, I did a cover of "Wanna Level Up" by Vincent Vega (the song is used under license by Epidemic Sound).

The only editing I did was with Audacity (I did Reverb, Compressor, Normalize, and Bass Boost as well as removing background noise from the silent parts of the track).

Here is the original song for comparison. I'm curious what type of software and voice edits I would need to get a result more like what you hear in the original song. Thanks.

Good sounding track but why did you go for the voice an octave lower, that's right near your bottom limit for some notes. Your voice struggles down there and I'm not sure that's an editing cure. What is it like when you sing it an octave up to match the original? I think as low as you're going for at the moment it robs definition as I suspect you are also singing quietly, because its so low? Musically, I'm not sure the low version works - it gives it an darker, angrier feel? Can you do it at the proper pitch?

Good sounding track but why did you go for the voice an octave lower, that's right near your bottom limit for some notes. Your voice struggles down there and I'm not sure that's an editing cure. What is it like when you sing it an octave up to match the original? I think as low as you're going for at the moment it robs definition as I suspect you are also singing quietly, because its so low? Musically, I'm not sure the low version works - it gives it an darker, angrier feel? Can you do it at the proper pitch?
Sure, I have no problem re-recording the vocal track, and I'll let you know when it's done. (Also I was sitting when I recorded it, but it will probably come out better if I'm standing).

To be brutally honest, the main issue with the track at this stage is definitely the performance. I agree with Rob that it really takes away from the energy of the original when you sing it in a lower octave. And, with all due respect, the performance just isn't professional. I think you could benefit from some singing lessons. I would definitely try it at the higher octave. Try to really put some emotion into the performance and sing from the gut. Maybe it's just that your technique is lacking.

Aside from that, your vocal chain is dependent on the source sound, so it could change depending on the vocal take you end up using. Also, did you apply the effects in the order you mentioned above? You wouldn't usually want to put your reverb first. I would strongly encourage that you use a send for reverbs. My fundamental chain for vocals is Subtractive EQ>Compression>Additive EQ>Deesser. I always use sends for reverbs and delays. Sometimes, I will use saturation as well and will insert it in the chain before or after the additive eq. Sometimes I'll use two compressors to share the work load and to get the sonic character from one or the other. Keep in mind, a well recorded vocal may not need eq or compression. Only use any effect when you really need it. You might want to try a little tuning on the vocal. If you decide to use a tuning plugin, put it first in your chain. Try to avoid the bad habit of using a compressor to increase the volume of a track. In most cases, your audio should not get louder when you bypass/turn on the compressor. Gain staging.. gain matching... very important. Fundamentals!! Best of luck to you!

You might like to get the current issue of Sound on Sound? Good article about vocal comping.

Dave.

Have you tried any Zoom meetings or youtube streams with the online educators? There are a few that do Zoom meetings and you can be a guest on their recording podcast. You can ask questions as they go along. Up load tracks to onedrive, you recorded and they use as a teaching aid for the show. I would contact them. Todd Leon is one. William Kenny. 5 Great Tones guy. It helps to watch someone else do it.

Since someone liked the idea.

I did Zoom meeting as a guest for an online seminar. There is a bunch of little boxes on a screen and they have people in them. The host goes to a box and the discussion begins. Everybody can see and hear each other, but we were told to mute our microphones until we were on. Prior I had sent a track to his email address. He had a link for a shared folder. In the podcast he used the track for an example and answered my questions. To see how you sweep the EQs and generally watching them use the tools was awesome. All the VSTs used are linked and free as a trial . Everybody and every track is different, but how they use the tools is the same. I highly recommend reaching out to a youtube online educator. I had a great experience doing it. In the OP interests I would see if they have anything scheduled for a Melodyne or Antares seminar. The one I did was strictly mixing.

Screenshot 2021-11-23 215559.jpg

Last edited:
Back