How to control DAW from a drum room

dkerwood

I'm planning to set up a drum recording room in my basement (due to no room in my regular studio room). The basement stairs are around the corner from my studio desk, and the total run will probably be something like 30 or 40 feet once we get around the corner, down the stairs, and to the spot where the drums will be set up (if absolutely necessary, I can drill a hole in the wall to cut about 15 feet out of that length). I have a sub snake that will serve to get mic channels into my interface upstairs and will run another line back for monitoring, but the big challenge is how to remote control my MacBook Pro.

Is there a good way to connect an iPad to remote control a MBP? I really want full control over Logic - punching in, record enabling channels, etc - so would that be a good way to do it? Or would it be better to get an HDMI splitter (I already use the HDMI output for a larger monitor in my studio), sending the display to another screen in the basement and figure out a wireless keyboard/mouse solution? The iPad solution would be easier as I already have a couple iPads, but I wonder about latency.

Any cool ideas you have are welcome, as I'm really just in the beginning stages of planning this out.

I extended the kb, screens and mouse when I moved my PC out of the recording space to get some quiet - The HDMI splitter sounds good and distance wise for kb and mouse a single USB should do the trick - I run a 7m one with a big socket that houses the electronics. It works seamlessly.

@dkerwood your setup sounds very close to mine. My office/music room is next to the basement stairs, the future music room is just off the left of the stairs. I've wondered about keeping the computer upstairs and operating it remotely. Recording the music is only part of the battle, I'm not sure yet where I'd like to spend my time doing post work, here or down there. Thing is, I can probably set up a better listening spot down there. But up here are the kitchen, lavatory, comfy chairs, coffee machine, water pitcher. food. windows.

@dkerwood your setup sounds very close to mine. My office/music room is next to the basement stairs, the future music room is just off the left of the stairs. I've wondered about keeping the computer upstairs and operating it remotely. Recording the music is only part of the battle, I'm not sure yet where I'd like to spend my time doing post work, here or down there. Thing is, I can probably set up a better listening spot down there. But up here are the kitchen, lavatory, comfy chairs, coffee machine, water pitcher. food. windows.
The plan eventually is to redo the garage and purpose-build a studio out there. The only issue with that is that I'd have to intentionally go out there to practice, rehearse, or record. Right now I walk past my studio 15 times a day and I'm likely to sit and play music any of those times!

The plan eventually is to redo the garage and purpose-build a studio out there. The only issue with that is that I'd have to intentionally go out there to practice, rehearse, or record. Right now I walk past my studio 15 times a day and I'm likely to sit and play music any of those times!

that's kind of the same thing with having my music room down cellar. At my old house, it was upstairs opposite my bedroom. At my apartment it was my bedroom. I wanted it to be here in the office next to my bedroom but it's even smaller than the room I had at the old house. Both rooms are much smaller than I've had in over 30 years.

Long term, there will be a functioning lavatory in the basement. The one down there that got called the third bath was such a horror show it's the only reason why we got this house in this market. I see no reason why not have a kitchenette put in as well. That could alleviate some of the needs to go upstairs.

Back