How do you naturally lift your cheeks when singing?

Sounds like a technical thing but tbh I never think about anything technical when I sing. I just sing and think about what's for dinner, when is Supergirl on, what's going on at home. Sometimes I think people over think things.

I am so happy I put down my water before I scrolled down to read your response. "I just sing and think about what's for dinner" had me dying of laughter haha.

Yes it is overly technical but as part of my decision to take singing more seriously I'm trying to gain a much deeper understanding of all the technical aspects of singing that my first vocal coach tried to teach me as I rolled my eyes at the time. Regret doing that now.

I agree. I used to do the whole drop the jaw and inhale from deep through simulating a half yawn while breathing thing. I actually e-mailed my old vocal coach about doing that and she said that I should definitely not do that. In fact, she was actually the first to suggest I implement a slight lift in the cheeks. I didn't listen at the time since I had never heard anyone else say that before but after stumbling upon this article and reading through all of its detailed explanation, I started to think that maybe I should have listened. I will probably just e-mail her and find out what she has to say on the matter with respect to how to do this. If anyone else cares let me know and I can report what I hear back to the forums.

Back