How do I remove my middle and neck strat pickups from the circuit so only the bridge pickup works?

therevivalsband

The Revivals
My Seymour Duncan JB Jr in the bridge position hums due to the single coils in the middle and neck position, so I was wondering how I could take them out of the circuit so only the bridge pickup is functional. I know Billie Joe Armstrong did it for his famous "Blue" guitar, but I have no clue how. Is there something complicated I need to do or can I just de-solder?

Last edited:
You coud desolder or even just snip them loose and then have 3 dead positions (Jack open, possibly noisy) on the switch. If you want to use the switch as a kill switch it’d probably be better if you run a wire from a ground point to the spots on the switch where those pickups were connected. If you want to eliminate the switch entirely, itll Take a bit more kerjiggering to connect the bridge pickup directly to the V pot and then do you also want a T control?

I don’t really believe it’ll help whatever noise you’re getting except accidentally, but…

Your Bridge Humbucker should not be affected by your Middle/Neck pickups if the selector switch is positioned in the bridge position, and the switch is functioning correctly.

Yes, you can just remove (un-solder) the Neck/Middle pickup wires from the 5-way switch..., making it a Bridge Humbucker only guitar, limiting the usefulness of the guitar to make diffenrt tones

Yeah, if the pickup switch is on the bridge pickup, the other ones should not be entering into the circuit, so not contributing noise. Something's wrong and getting out a multimeter to chase all the wiring would be where I'd start, not by cutting or de-soldering anything. If there's a short putting the single coils in the circuit where they don't belong, or open ground (my guess), that should just be fixed.

Your hum is unrelated to the middle and neck pickups - and you can desolder them - but I wouldn't - I'd track down what's causing the hum - which is usually a bad ground - cold solder joint - or mis- wiring.

Reactions: Bow
You could actually rewire the switch to disconnect both ends of the pickups when you switch away from them. This would retain all of the options while having the same effect. In the process you’d also resolder most of the circuit which would probably fix the issue on its own.

You could actually rewire the switch to disconnect both ends of the pickups when you switch away from them. This would retain all of the options while having the same effect. In the process you’d also resolder most of the circuit which would probably fix the issue on its own.
okay! thanks

Your hum is unrelated to the middle and neck pickups - and you can desolder them - but I wouldn't - I'd track down what's causing the hum - which is usually a bad ground - cold solder joint - or mis- wiring.
aight im prolly just gonna buy a ehx hum debugger then cause i aint got the patience for a full rewire lmao

My Seymour Duncan JB Jr in the bridge position hums due to the single coils in the middle and neck position, so I was wondering how I could take them out of the circuit so only the bridge pickup is functional. I know Billie Joe Armstrong did it for his famous "Blue" guitar, but I have no clue how. Is there something complicated I need to do or can I just de-solder?
Chainsaw, hammer, and a sharp wood chisel should take care of it.

Your amp probably needs it's own grounded power supply. Sharing a ground creates all kinds of noise, especially with older amps. Try plugging your amp in someplace else, away from TVs and fluorescent lights, and see if there's a difference.

Back