Home Recording with Chromebook

Acoustic-Guy

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. Last time I was in a recording studio there were no cell phones, no internet, no PCs in everyone's home, and so on. I'm trying to set up a small and simple home recording studio intending to record myself one track at a time with acoustic instruments and vocals for bluegrass/gospel music. I'm not looking to record professionally but for my own satisfaction, I want to have a better sound than simply strumming the guitar while singing into my cell phone. I will also be adding 5-string banjo, acoustic bass, and sometimes harmony and piano. And one last note, I have pick-ups on all my acoustic instruments to record electronically. Now to my question.

I'm running into walls with interfaces, DAWs, and so on. I have a very limited knowledge working with an old analog mixer. I have headphones, condenser mics, an android smart phone, and a Chromebook. Can anyone tell me in basic terms what I need to get the vocals and instruments into MP3 or .wav files? All the tutorials and YouTube videos seem to assume the listeners already know how to use everything and nothing seems to be compatible with a Chromebook. I really don't want to break the bank to do this so any help, links, equipment, and so on y'all can offer will be appreciated. Thanks.

There's a reason why you aren't seeing a lot of information on Chromebooks running DAWs. While there are DAW programs that are supposed to run on Chromebooks, such as BandLab and SoundTrap, they are browser based programs. As such, you're somewhat limited by factors such as internet speed and storage.

I haven't been a fan of the Chromebook. It seems to be perfectly fine for functions like word processing, basic spreadsheeting, web browsing and email, their capabilities are limited. To me, it's like trying to run the Daytona 500 with a Toyota Corolla. It's a great car for going to work, the grocery and going on vacation, but high performance isn't it's forte. For serious recording, a decent PC is much better equipped for the task.

I would suggest that you give a rough idea on available funds. Then it will be easier to see what basic system you might be able to build. Something like a refurbished laptop with an I5 processor, 8GB RAM and an SSD can be had for $200-250. An interface like the Behringer UMC202HD or 404HD will run you $70-150. Those two items, along with your microphones and headphones will get you started for hardware. The only other thing you would need would be a DAW, of which you could either go with something like Cakewalk by Bandlab, or Reaper.

The other option would be to go with a self contained unit such as a used Zoom R16 or R24, used Tascam DP24SD, DP-03, or DP-08. You can get them for the $200-300 range, depending on the unit and if it's new or used. They have advantages in that they are portable, and generally easy to setup and get recording. With a bit of reading of the manual, they are almost plug and play. The deficiency is that they are more difficult to work with in terms of editing and mixdown, but it can be done to the point that you have a finished 2 track song.

What might work for you is to do the recording into a portable self contained unit, and then transfer the files to the Chromebook for mixdown (or basic PC). I have done this with good success. I have a Zoom R24 and once things are recorded, I simply pull out the SD card and transfer the files to my PC for mixing and editing. As I said, they are very portable, so if you go to a friend's house, you can take it along, plug in some mics and record. Even the very basic H4n from Zoom or Tascam DR40x can do 4 channel multitracking. You can get used units under $100-150. For dirt cheap, you CAN make pretty decent recordings with them.

The only way to truly know if the Chromebook DAWs will meet your needs is to try them out. You should be able to run them and find a song with a few tracks online, and see if you can get them mixed and if things run smoothly. If you need some files, just ask. I'm sure we can get you tracks for your testing.

There's a reason why you aren't seeing a lot of information on Chromebooks running DAWs. While there are DAW programs that are supposed to run on Chromebooks, such as BandLab and SoundTrap, they are browser based programs. As such, you're somewhat limited by factors such as internet speed and storage.

I haven't been a fan of the Chromebook. It seems to be perfectly fine for functions like word processing, basic spreadsheeting, web browsing and email, their capabilities are limited. To me, it's like trying to run the Daytona 500 with a Toyota Corolla. It's a great car for going to work, the grocery and going on vacation, but high performance isn't it's forte. For serious recording, a decent PC is much better equipped for the task.

I would suggest that you give a rough idea on available funds. Then it will be easier to see what basic system you might be able to build. Something like a refurbished laptop with an I5 processor, 8GB RAM and an SSD can be had for $200-250. An interface like the Behringer UMC202HD or 404HD will run you $70-150. Those two items, along with your microphones and headphones will get you started for hardware. The only other thing you would need would be a DAW, of which you could either go with something like Cakewalk by Bandlab, or Reaper.

The other option would be to go with a self contained unit such as a used Zoom R16 or R24, used Tascam DP24SD, DP-03, or DP-08. You can get them for the $200-300 range, depending on the unit and if it's new or used. They have advantages in that they are portable, and generally easy to setup and get recording. With a bit of reading of the manual, they are almost plug and play. The deficiency is that they are more difficult to work with in terms of editing and mixdown, but it can be done to the point that you have a finished 2 track song.

What might work for you is to do the recording into a portable self contained unit, and then transfer the files to the Chromebook for mixdown (or basic PC). I have done this with good success. I have a Zoom R24 and once things are recorded, I simply pull out the SD card and transfer the files to my PC for mixing and editing. As I said, they are very portable, so if you go to a friend's house, you can take it along, plug in some mics and record. Even the very basic H4n from Zoom or Tascam DR40x can do 4 channel multitracking. You can get used units under $100-150. For dirt cheap, you CAN make pretty decent recordings with them.

The only way to truly know if the Chromebook DAWs will meet your needs is to try them out. You should be able to run them and find a song with a few tracks online, and see if you can get them mixed and if things run smoothly. If you need some files, just ask. I'm sure we can get you tracks for your testing.
To clarify a little, I'm not locked into using the Chromebook. It's what I have so the idea was to look at what might be compatible. Looks like I'll need to reconsider that part and plan to pick up a dedicated PC for recording and storage.Thank you for the response. I'm getting pretty discouraged with the whole idea and almost ready to throw in the towel. But at least you were honest with me and gave me the facts. I'll look around to see what can find in a PC/Laptop to get a start. I'll also look into the other equipment you identified. In time, I'll be back with more questions. Thanks again.

OK, acting on your recommendations, I did some looking around online and found a refurbished Dell desktop PC meeting and exceeding your specifications for a great price. It carries Amazon's 90-day warranty and I added a 2-year protection plan as well. I also ordered the Behringer UMC404HD I already had in my shopping cart. Once they are delivered and I get them set up, I'll do some looking and reading up on various options for DAW programs to download. If you have any you might recommend for the slow and ignorant, I'd appreciate the links for them. Thanks again. At least I feel like I'm making progress.

Reactions: TAE
Any software capable of getting the job done is going to be fairly complex, but you don't have to learn all the details to start recording. So be prepared to get through a steep part of the learning curve, then it will get easier.

Reactions: TAE
Any software capable of getting the job done is going to be fairly complex, but you don't have to learn all the details to start recording. So be prepared to get through a steep part of the learning curve, then it will get easier.
I expected to hear that. No quick fixes. Thank you!

Though any DAW software out there will get you going in multitrack recordings The most expensive and industry standard is Protools. Nowadays it is a subscription based DAW so it is a never ending payment for you. It works well and is the industry standard, I would not recommend unless you have a consistent amount of disposable income and money is not an issue. Next in line and an amazing value is Logic pro but only works for Mac IOS products. Next in popularity and the one most members here at HR.com use is Reaper ..there is multiple reasons why that is so. It is definitely the most powerful DAW in the industry, constantly evolving , a huge base of users groups to learn from on Facebook and Youtube, here and at the Cocko's BBS. AND it is free to download to learn to use in a completely uncrippled version. Of which you can use forever without paying a dime other than a pop up nag screen after 60 days. It will remind you that they would like you to pay the $60. The nag is only momentary and you can continue to use the software forever if you are cash strapped. I strongly encourage you to pay if you can afford to IF you decide it is the DAW software you want to use as your go to. There are several others but most members here are going to tell you to use Reaper...

It is a long fun journey and with all the help out there these days and most of the bugs gone you should be up and recording pretty quickly Good luck

1669037545258.png

Back