Home Made Rack

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
Hey there,
Just wondering if you think it's ok for me to cheaply build a rack out of my existing printer stand. I really only have room for this printer stand on the one side of my desk which is where a rack could also fit (one or the other), however I like to be organized. If I get rid of the stand and get a rack, then I'd have a mostly empty rack (ugly, cables hanging all behind are visible) and then just a printer on the floor and all my other little accessories like DI boxes,, etc, etc would be just sitting there unless I got a rack tray to use as a shelf. However I still want that table top part of it so I can set a lamp (no room on desk) or other items. I often move my control surface over there if I need the desk space for other things such as paper work etc.

My printer stand is similar to this picture, but a little taller (almost desk height) and black. I was thinking of just buying some rack rails and bolting them to the desk and maybe removing the shelf if it gets in the way. Replace the shelf with as many trays as I need so I keep all the odds and end organized, and then have what little outboard gear I have mounted in the rack. One of the units is my interface, which currently sits atop the table top, and I don't like that.

Is this idea ok in your opinion? Just wondering if there's a reason not to do this, or if it's even possible (easily)? I'm pretty embarrassed to even ask this but whatever. Laugh all you want! :o

images.jpg

The stand is probably particle board, and your gear is probably pretty heavy, so I don't think it would work too well.

If you're gonna make one out of the stand you might as well go get some good wood from home depot or something and make a sturdy one.

The stand is probably particle board, and your gear is probably pretty heavy, so I don't think it would work too well.

If you're gonna make one out of the stand you might as well go get some good wood from home depot or something and make a sturdy one.
I doubt the gear is that heavy, that it would take out a stand, especially made to sit heavy things on top of your desk...
Printers themselves aren't exactly lightweight. All it needs is some rack rails. Assuming it's already 19 inch. Otherwise, it will need some adjusting.

As long as that inside dimension is at least 17 1/2" then a standard 19" housing will slide in up to the ears. If you have 19" or more, even better as you could either mount rack rails and install gear or go cheap and use wooden rails and mount to that.

Thanks guys! I'll try it out. Yes, it is indeed made of particle board. :( But hopefully it holds my interface (no more then 10 lbs), a couple rack trays as shelves and a couple of my small "rack mountable" units that take up a 1/3 of the rack width. Apparently there is a way to make the mini "rack mountable" units go next to each other, together in the same row. If it feels flimsy once I rack mount the interface, and if I hear some cracking of the wood when I stop supporting the interface with my hands, I'll know that it simply isnt strong enough and to take the unit out right away. Nothing to lose...I'd just put it back on top as it was (or make one). :)

The unit should be close to the right width. I need to measure. Will post pics when it's done (whenever that happens, it's spring cleaning time now)!

On a different (ghetto) note, those rectangular milk crates, are the exact size for a temporary rack. Just cut out the bottom, drywall screws into the opening, and cover with cloth.

IKEA has a nightstand thing that is also the perfect dimentions for like $30. It is also particle board, but using bolts through the side walls for the rails, will make it plenty sturdy for a non gigging rack case.

To use the stand you already have, just add vertical wood sections to create a 17 1/2" opening, then bolt rack rails in.

Here ya are! Sorry for the crappy quality. Used my iPod's camera :D

View attachment 70486
Thanks for posting! Oh I though you meant you put rack rails and such on your tv unit and converted it. That's what I intend on doing. Whatever works though.

I measured my stand and it's about 21.5" wide :(. Not sure what to do now, other than put vertical support beams to narrow the inside width of the stand so I can attach the rails. But that means painting the raw beams and such. Ugh. Was just looking for a quick way to convert it. I have too many "studio" diy projects to do, it's detracting from the actual time I have to work in the actual studio! I'm sure you're all in the same boat for the most part. :)

Thanks for posting! Oh I though you meant you put rack rails and such on your tv unit and converted it. That's what I intend on doing. Whatever works though.

I measured my stand and it's about 21.5" wide :(. Not sure what to do now, other than put vertical support beams to narrow the inside width of the stand so I can attach the rails. But that means painting the raw beams and such. Ugh. Was just looking for a quick way to convert it. I have too many "studio" diy projects to do, it's detracting from the actual time I have to work in the actual studio! I'm sure you're all in the same boat for the most part. :)

Haha. I could do that. It could be my next project. I'm just a lazy f**k at the moment lol. :)

Ok, just thought I'd follow up. I modified my existing "Printer Stand" or whatever it's supposed to be for. I added two vertical 1x2 pine beams spray-painted gloss black (classy :P) in order to make an opening narrow enough to mount standard rack-sized gear. I'm also using them as my rack rails and they're working just fine.

Then I added an LED rope light around the outside so I could see all the controls on the units better. My last step after mounting my stuff was to manage all the cables and wire everything neatly so its easy to turn everything on all at once, while reaming power surge protection. It's wired in a way where it's very easy for me to get behind it and add/remove/change anything. I have barely any gear so not much need for a patch bay...yet! I mounted a power bar on the back (don't worry, its then plugged into a power conditioner) for all the stuff I want turned on simultaneously like my interface, monitors, control surface, headphone amp, led lights, etc.

I have my 20 channel snake (16 XLR and 4 TRS) running from the tracking room downstairs up into the control room and it's always plugged into my interface and pre-amps so I can just plug and play.

Here are some pics of my modest little diy rack/mod.

The whole thing...
whole.JPG

Close-up of rails and led rope lighting...
Close-up.jpg

Gotta keep organized!...
Cables.jpg

Last edited:
Back