Help with recording

quantumgravey

Hi,

I have a very basic question,

I am using reaper to record a midi keyboard through novation V-station however I can't figure out how to record the changes I make to the VST settings during a live recording (i.e. when I sweep the filter frequency whilst making a recording the effect is not rendered within the recording itself)

Sorry if my terminology is incorrect as I am a complete newbie.

Thanks for your help)

To take a stab at this, are you recording the MIDI as you play? If the MIDI signal is being passed from the keyboard to Reaper, it should be recording it.

I'll take a stab as well...

Is your MIDI recording software set to record/playback MIDI controller data versus just recording the MIDI note data? I haven't recorded MIDI in a long time, but sort of remember you could filter out certain data or let it be recorded depending on the software. In Reaper, take a look in the "midi track control panel"
Might be some hints in this>>> help needed - reaper won't send cc messages - Cockos Confederated Forums

Hi,

I am using reaper to record a midi keyboard through novation V-station however I can't figure out how to record the changes I make to the VST settings during a live recording (i.e. when I sweep the filter frequency whilst making a recording the effect is not rendered within the recording itself)

Thanks for your help)

Can't you just enable "write", do what you want on the keyboard, and then "read" it when done?

Can't you just enable "write", do what you want on the keyboard, and then "read" it when done?

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Unless you have the VST settings mapped to controllers on your keyboard. If you're making live changes in software, it won't show up in the recorded midi data. I'm not an expert on midi, but there should be a way to map the settings to your midi controller. Then, maybe the changes will be captured.

Or, do as Nola said and use the automation in Reaper and capture the changes there.

Hi,

Thanks for your help)

That's right. Ordinarily making changes to a VST or any plugin is not recorded.

Most software suites will have an automation read/write/latch/touch setting per track, and a list of parameters that you can automate.

Read and write are self explanatory
Touch wlll write but only while you're actively changing the value. When you're not changing the value it will default back to reading. It's a bit like record punch-in, I suppose.
Latch is write but if you stop changing the value it'll will continue to write that value.

You'll need to enable whatever mode you like for that particular control or parameter in Reaper.

Back