HELP! Pops/Clicks with Macbook & EMU 0202

sooperdooper

Hi! First post here and unfortunately I'm asking for help!

I recently made the switch from PC to Mac - got a lower spec Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz i5, 4GB RAM).

I've got Logic Express and I was hoping to use the EMU-0202 USB audio interface I'd always used on the PC.

The EMU works fine for audio playback (through iTunes or whatever) but there is an issue with audio input and recording. When I plug in my SM57 or electric guitar I get loads of pops and cracks during both monitoring and recording. They seem to occur at random intervals and I don't think anything in particular triggers them off.

I've tried all the usual things - switching USB ports, turning off wireless, fiddling with the buffer sizes in Logic - but nothing seems to make any difference. I've also tried recording with Audacity and the pops still occur, so Logic isn't the problem.

It's not caused by overloading the project, that's for sure - I haven't even gotten to the stage of adding VSTi's yet because even with one audio track and no effects, it'll still make these popping noises.

However, when I connect the electric guitar directly to the Macbook Pro through it's combined headphone/line in, there are no problems! So the issue is clearly with the EMU-0202 rather than the laptop's recording abilities (obviously! it's a Macbook Pro - I'd like to think it could handle one audio track!:))

I know that Creative originally said that they weren't intending to support the 0202 for the new operating systems at all (as it's been discontinued), but they have since added a new driver to their site which supposedly supports a variety of models - the 0202 included. That's the driver I've been using.

Does it sound like it could be a driver issue or is it more likely something else?

Sorry this was so long, but any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

...until now. :cool:

But, short answer - no. There's simply an incompatibility between the MacBook and the Emu 0202 that even updated drivers didn't fix for me.

Shortly after my previous post I ended up purchasing another USB interface - the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 - which has worked perfectly with the 2011 Macbook Pro. It was money that I didn't particularly want to spend, but overall I've found the Focusrite to be a much better device than the Emu. Certainly more reliable and durable.

However, please note that I haven't looked into this issue since xmas 2011. So for all I know a miracle fix could have appeared in the time since then!

This is hilarious I just had the same problem 0202 into MacBook lots of clicky popping sounds! Thought I'd only find old dead threads taking bout. Is unfortunate news though.

Back