hearing playback on track 1 and recording on track 4

Hey, I got the 688. This one on the surface looked cool and cassettes are cheaper than reels so I thought it would be a good fit, but in hindsight it seems like it's too complicated with all the freaking buttons. Kinda wish I got the DP24 BECAUSE i WANTED SOMETHING not wired into my wifi and stuff.

I armed all 8 tracks the other day and the erase head is working properly. I was trying to do one track at a time and was having stuff bleed over to other tracks I think. There's a thread in newbie.

Still barely know what I am doing but I made a recording on track 1 and wanted to hear the playback and record on track 4. Is this where the dual group comes in and I link it somehow?

I cannot hear playback on track 1 when attempting to record on track 4.

At one point track 1 was playing back but the record button was blinking.

I did however manage to do playback on track 1 and record whatever on track 2.

I'm just confused on how playback works with each group. This is what I know: GROUP 1 & 2 are L & R ,........Can anyone help me out?

This is how I assigned it:
PXL_20210218_120733489.jpg

These are my inputs:
PXL_20210218_120823879.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have the manual? That's going to be the easiest way to learn how to use it. On page 17, it walks you through step-by-step on how to make your first recordings. You need to read that.

The routing is a bit complicated on that machine at first, but once you get it, it does make sense. You just need to read the manual --- especially the bit where it walks you through.

It can be found easily online.

Do you have the manual? That's going to be the easiest way to learn how to use it. On page 17, it walks you through step-by-step on how to make your first recordings. You need to read that.

The routing is a bit complicated on that machine at first, but once you get it, it does make sense. You just need to read the manual --- especially the bit where it walks you through.

It can be found easily online.
I think I got it. Just have to arm the 3 and 4 track and have the 'ext sync' set to 'off' to hear playback on 1 while recording for 4. Still think the rerecords are bleeding a little somehow but I panned the 2 and 5 tracks .

Back