"Hear the Call", updated single (original rock)

GONZO-X

this is an updated version of the demo i previously did....
if you heard the 1st version,
you will probably notice this one has a different feel to it.
i played it more backbeat.
new guitar tracks, new drum kit.
this is my first single release! njoy!

ok now it plays

attention

in line yawl

hear the beat

question??

lies>?

q?

sonics are primo

mellow head moves

love the kitch.

ok

if it tastes good

nice head blow on the ending.

overall

awesome +5

Thanks for checking it out,
Papanate convinced me to try a different approach than with the demo,
This one has more swing to it,
Which it needed.
All guitars/bass done with a strymon iridium direct.

Thanks for checking it out,
Papanate convinced me to try a different approach than with the demo,
This one has more swing to it,
Which it needed.
All guitars/bass done with a strymon iridium direct.

You've really lost the definition of the guitars and vocals - during the verses the vocals are kind of defined - but the guitars sound like mush.

I strongly disagree...
But thats ok, maybe ill get you on the next one.
Thanks for commenting

I like it. The drums sound like a real guy, the kind of beat a drummer would play. Everything else is pristine, the vocals and overall production and musicianship. Can't fault it. Nice job

I like it. The drums sound like a real guy, the kind of beat a drummer would play. Everything else is pristine, the vocals and overall production and musicianship. Can't fault it. Nice job
thanks bullsHit. i dig that the effort to program more human sounding drum riffs is working to some degree.
you know, the vox i do these days, i go directly into a RME Babyface Pro interface, and those preamps are super clean, almost to a fault..
so i use a good bit of eq, and some Tape Saturation plugins to get them to behave, but i don't want them dirty, so i guess it's working.
i use the Waves J37 plug on a few sub busses, including vocals.
it works well, but only for certain things. seems to change on a mix by mix basis.

Excellent playing, interesting song! I've heard many of your mixes in the past so i know to expect high quality. The only observations i can add is that i was wanting more guitar and the overall level seems a bit low considering the material, i had to crank it up a good bit past my normal listening level and i still just wanted more everything overall. The bass got a bit indistinct to me once the song got going, but i like more bass than most usually. Really, it's hard to find any fault in the mix without trying, the sounds, separation and performances are all excellent, nice work!

Agreeing to stratomasters comment on the loudness. As a rock song it could have a bit more overall loudness. Other than that it sounds very good.

Excellent playing, interesting song! I've heard many of your mixes in the past so i know to expect high quality. The only observations i can add is that i was wanting more guitar and the overall level seems a bit low considering the material, i had to crank it up a good bit past my normal listening level and i still just wanted more everything overall. The bass got a bit indistinct to me once the song got going, but i like more bass than most usually. Really, it's hard to find any fault in the mix without trying, the sounds, separation and performances are all excellent, nice work!
interesting that you think it needs more volume...
i think cranking this tune and matching volume with other discs, sounds way better than boosting this mix with mastering to get level.
i mastered this at 4 different targets (-8LUFS, -9, -10 and -11lufs) and the 11 one by a long shot.
i don't mind if these new mixes i'm doing are not screaming loud, that kind of mix has started to bother me...

if i can hear any artifacts at all (from compression or limiting) i just have to nix it.

but i think you (and papanate) are right to a point, i COULD get the bass better in one section of the song where it just seems to go more background...
and breaking the 2 guitar parts down to just one for most of it, would solidify the rhythm work.
i'm working on that mix now.

but my days of competing with crushed mixes are over.
i'm absolutely convinced of that.

i say just crank that mother up!! and then it's loud, and still has dynamics.:listeningmusic:

Agreeing to stratomasters comment on the loudness. As a rock song it could have a bit more overall loudness. Other than that it sounds very good.
thanks for listening tricheter!
again, i don't quite get the "more" loudness thing,
unless you are literally a/b'ing it against another mix,
especially a pro release.

i hate putting on a single, that just blasts out the speakers, and i'd rather turn the volume up anyway,
that sounds better to me than flatlined mastering.

i see the trend now...

Back