Which headphones?

• Sennheiser HD598

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AKG 702

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nooooooorm

This is my first post on this forum.:cool:
I've asked this question before on reddit but I didn't get a clear answer.

Which one of these cans would be the best for producing and mixing? (There is 0% chance of me getting monitors)

I've already planned to get a Schiit stack (Modi 2 + Magni 2) which I've heard is pretty powerful. Apart from that I would be producing on FL and some Ableton.

Thanks in advance.

Why the open back? For open backed headphones I'd jump to the HD600/650 tier before settling for anything less [these can be found for as little as I paid, ~$280]. In the sub-$200 range I'd opt for any number of makes/models. Beyerdynamics has some great stuff, closed and open. The ATH-M50s I use for tracking and casual listening are awesome for the price (slightly bass heavy, but that's what I like in casual listening so win-win for me). I recently spent significant time trying everything Guitar Center had, in addition to years of my own headphone ownership and use.

My ears tell me these are the best sub-$200 headphones available:
ATH-M50x Professional Monitor Headphones || Audio-Technica US

Budget minded but very good (highs are slightly harsh IMO, which can be EQ'd out if undesirable):
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Reference Studio Headphones - Closed | Sweetwater.com

And you really can't beat the HD280 pros for $99. No other headphone for $99 comes close. But you do get superior clarity for just a bit more money in the above models.

I had a pair of Shure something or others (in same price range as being discussed) and the response was waaaay too flat and lifeless for my tastes. Again, if I want flat and accurate then I know it's necessary to step up to the next grade/tier of headphones. What I look for in the price range you're shopping is utilitarian - something I can use for tracking/most audio work and casually enjoy. Monitors and high end headphones are needed for proper mixing/mastering, but tend to not be my favorite sounding for all day use. Too bright and/or too flat. Let your ears be your guide. Your best bet is to go to a music store and try on some pairs. Fit is also something to consider if you plan on wearing them for hours. I found all the models mentioned above to be comfortable.

Keep in mind the Schiit only handles up to 75 ohms, so any larger headphones may require a beefier headphone amp. The ATHM50 would be fine at 38ohm, but the Beyerdynamics are 250ohm and other larger headphones wouldn't be as loud/punchy as they could be with a stronger amp. I'm using a Presonus HP4 which supports up to 600ohm headphones.

Last edited:
Like Pinky says.........I don't see how you can use an open can design to record with if there's any live / mic tracks being laid down. In my time I've tried MANY MANY headphones and there's not one that doesn't have a drawback and I can tell you that price is not foolproof either. I actually have the HD598's. They're extremely clear and slightly hyped in the upper ranges. However......the bottom end is not useful for mixing. I've always found that the AKG's are not as accurate as they advertise. They're very "smooth" and at first that seems to be good...........but it's not. The HD280 is such a reliable reference that.....in my opinion.......it's a great headphone. You can't go wrong for the price and you will never regret having them.

+1 to Pinky's comments.
I have the HD280s and the DT770s and agree 100% with what he said about them.

The 280s seem to be ubiquitous so if you're moving around different studios it might be good to know them.
That's in my limited experience, though. Might be dumb luck.

My ears tell me these are the best sub-$200 headphones available:
ATH-M50x Professional Monitor Headphones || Audio-Technica US

They're great, and so are Sony MDRV6. The best open back value is the HD580 precision, but you can only find them used. They were discontinued many years ago. They're flatter and less colored than the successor, the HD600. They're a hidden gem. These are the two headphones I do all my recording and mixing on and you can do 95% of all work using the combo, and you probably wouldn't spend over $200 if you get the Sony new and 580s used. I'm a huge headphone snob, too, out of necessity (I can't fit monitors in my place).

I've always found that the AKG's are not as accurate as they advertise. They're very "smooth" and at first that seems to be good...........but it's not.

My 10 year old AKGs collect dust in the corner somewhere. They're for guest singers (which is very rare). I should probably throw them out or resell them. They sound horrible, but aren't AKG's top model. They would have been the $100-200 range model 10 years ago.

IMO the best sounding headphones at Guitar Center were the Blue brand mo-fi:

Amazon.com: Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with Integrated Audiophile Amplifier: Musical Instruments

But they cost quite a bit ($300+). The fit/comfort was impeccable and it was like listening to large speakers in a well treated room. Again, NOT mixing headphones but premium for tracking and listening. If the price goes down and there isn't a better option at the time, I'll probably get these when my ATH-M50s finally die/wear out.

It looks like Blue have the Lola model, which are the Mo-Fi without the amplification features...

Blue Lola Headphones Review: A Cheaper, Lighter, Simpler Version Of The Mo-Fi With The Same Lovable Sound

Shit, those are tempting! ;)

Last edited:
I'm a huge headphone snob, too, out of necessity (I can't fit monitors in my place).

I'm becoming one with time, mostly due to the limited "play music/mixes through my monitors whenever I want" situation at home.

I've heard good things about the Sony's but I think they didn't carry them/have any in stock.

I'm becoming one with time, mostly due to the limited "play music/mixes through my monitors whenever I want" situation at home.

I've heard good things about the Sony's but I think they didn't carry them/have any in stock.

You can find them online for like $75 or so. They're great value. To me the bass sounds very slightly hyped but not in a bad, booming, unmusical way, and you just have to plan for it if mixing in them. I like to mix in the open back 580s and record in the closed back Sony.

Gotta love the prices on gear nowadays. Compared to just 10 years ago we have it made. Decent USB interfaces for less than $150. Tons of decent headphone options for ~$100. Free and cheap plugins that actually work very well. Not to mention the 'cheap' computing power to run so much stuff simultaneously. The only thing that you can't really cut many quality and price corners are with instruments. A good guitar, sax, drum kit is still going to cost you.

I'm not planning to use these to record.. I'm gonna use these for everything else and maybe some mixing, I'd also be in my bedroom so open backs would be ideal.. Why are so many people suggesting closed backs?

I'm not planning to use these to record.. I'm gonna use these for everything else and maybe some mixing, I'd also be in my bedroom so open backs would be ideal.. Why are so many people suggesting closed backs?

Open backs are generally for mixing, because they usually have a flatter response and more open sound stage (similar to what good monitors provide). The closed back suggestions above are more utilitarian. And as I already explained, *good* open back headphones start at a price point higher than you are looking. For their intended function, I would save up for a good pair of open back.

Almost everyone starts with a decent pair of closed back then add an open back at some point. The headphone amp you intend to use is not powerful enough for most larger open back headphones, something else to keep in mind.

Last edited:

I recommended 580s, which are open back. The 598 look similar to those, so I'd go with them. I'd compare the specs of the two first.

It looks like Blue have the Lola model, which are the Mo-Fi without the amplification features...

Blue Lola Headphones Review: A Cheaper, Lighter, Simpler Version Of The Mo-Fi With The Same Lovable Sound

Shit, those are tempting! ;)

I snagged a pair of these but ended up immediately reselling them. The highs were almost non-existent and I'm not interested in managing custom EQ's just so I can use one pair of headphones, so resold them on eBay. The bass response, like with the original Blue Mo-Fi was exceptional, and with less electronics and no battery the already comfortable design was even nicer on the head and ears.

Back