Guitar raspy buzzing through JBL LSR305s

andyg_prs

Hi,

I own a Kemper profiling amp and had been recording in Reaper using a raw guitar feed onto one track and a "Kemperised" feed into another.

The chain was Guitar > Kemper > Focusrite 2i4 > iMac.

I was silent recording in the house using some cheap £35 Roland headphones into the headphone jack of the 2i4 and it worked and sounded great.

I have a garage 2.5 x 5.6 with a 2.5 metre high ceiling that is converted into a rehearsal room with soundblok plasterboard, walls full of insulation, foam on the wall etc etc. Works well. I was "encouraged" by my wife to record out there so set up a desk and after some research got a pair of JBL LSR305 monitors with stands.

Playing back previous recordings it sounded great, really great. My chain was the same but I took the balanced monitor outs to the JBLs.

I then tried playing my Kemper through it....the sound lacked a lot of bass...which didn't surprise me....so I adjusted the monitor out EQ on the Kemper to have max bass and cut some treble....not bad...not great but not bad.

I compared it to my Yamaha DXR10 which I play the Kemper through and that was loads better....but of course it's massively more powerful with a 10" vs 5" speaker.

I then noticed that the high gain guitar rigs were causing all kinds of raspy noises through the JBLs at any significant kind of volume. I don't really hear it unless I try when recording or playing along with a mix...but it's annoying as I didn't have that through my cheapo headphones.

Playing without any backing the raspy noise is horrible. Now theoretically I guess it doesn't matter as I can monitor my guitar through the DXR10 (the Kemper has multiple outs that can be set with different EQs so I use the main out with a flat EQ to the DXR10 and a monitor out with bass boosted, treble cut, to the 2i4 and then the JBLs.

However, I do wonder if this is normal behaviour? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy

Back