Glitches since I changed from 32bit to 64bit

Dicus

Enthusiastic Member
One week ago I changed from 32 to 64bit to be able to use more internal memory. I also upgraded from 4 to 8gb(max my motherboard can handle) of internal memory. And had hoped that latency would be less and that my computer would be faster to use for mixing and recording.
However it glitches much more. While before I could easily playback or record while browsing for mixing tips. Right now if I start doing anything else while playing back or recording I get all sorts of glitches. I tried putting the Sample Rate from 44.1kHz to 96kHz but that only made it worse.
My task manager tells me that my processor is having a hard time (usage above 90% most of the time during playback) while my internal memory is around 40%. Is there a way in which I can use more internal memory to give my processor some headroom? Or should I start looking for a new computer? Does anyone know if overclocking might do me some good, I read that overclocking is really easy with the processor I use.

I use a TASCAM US-1800, in Reaper on a W10 computer with a Core2Duo 3.16 Ghz processor and 8GB DDR2.

Thanks in advance!

90% processor usage is very high - you should look at what processes are using that much. Are you using a lot of virtual instruments? A number of reverb plug-ins?

90% processor usage is very high - you should look at what processes are using that much. Are you using a lot of virtual instruments? A number of reverb plug-ins?

Hmm. It is high but it's hard to know if that's normal.
Is Win 10 much more intensive than 7? I have 7 running flawlessly on an e6600 right now, but it's got a mighty GPU behind it at the minute.

One week ago I changed from 32 to 64bit to be able to use more internal memory.

I use a TASCAM US-1800, in Reaper on a W10 computer with a Core2Duo 3.16 Ghz processor and 8GB DDR2.

Can you provide more detail how exactly you "changed from 32 to 64bit"...?

Was this a complete OS upgrade...did you switch from Win 7 to Win 10 in order to do that...?
...or...did you just upgrade your DAW application to 64 bit version...?

What about all the plugs and other DAW apps...?

I know you "can" run 32-bit stuff on a 64 bit system...but IMO, it's best to make a complete switch, so that the hardware, OS, drivers, DAW apps, and plugs are all 64-bit compatible/capable.
You'll have much less trouble that way in the long run.

Hmm. It is high but it's hard to know if that's normal.
Is Win 10 much more intensive than 7? I have 7 running flawlessly on an e6600 right now, but it's got a mighty GPU behind it at the minute.

I don't know W10, but 90% is high. Even when I'm running multiple synths + EZD2 on a slower processor with 6G RAM, I'm at 35-40%.

The only way to be sure about the processes would be to see which ones are using the most CPU, or memory, or disk access, or network resources, then look up those processes online to see what they are. There might be some processes which are (or should be) more or less a one-time thing, such as if your computer hasn't been scanned, or defragged, etc., for a long time and the OS is trying to do that-- then after the initial period of scanning, or defragging, etc., those sorts of processes should run unobtrusively in the background without hogging resources.

My first gut reaction is that the OP may be running a 32-bit version of Reaper on a 64-bit system. In this case, Windows runs 32-bit applications in an emulation layer (WoW64). This consumes more resources than running a native 64-bit app in a 64-bit environment.

I do notice that when I use 32-bit plugins in Reaper x64, they tend to be resource hogs and can cause some audio artifacts. I haven't tried running Reaper x86 in Win 10, but I suspect that it'd thrash about a bit.

And as for defragging, I believe that recent versions of Windows schedule defrags automatically and they run in the background weekly. I don't think that there's much need to manually kick off a defrag with more modern versions of Windows.

Back