Gary Moore - The Shapes of Things

PorterhouseMusic

Mitakuye Oyasin
That's such a cool version of that song - with the gtr solo being the highlight I think. I've just always thought that gtr solo was so cool and inventive. Not to mention technically impressive. It's got the cool mixolydian based melodic parts..... and then it's got those fast staccato picking passages where he just rips.

I love playing along and I can pretty well keep up except for that awkward fast part at the end where it's all super fast picked notes at the 16, 17, and 19th frets. Even just mimicking with hammer-ons and pull-offs is awkward for me. I'm too old to care about getting that perfect.

But yeah.... good stuff. RIP GM.

Often times we’ll forget how good these old masters really were.

One of his songs that I really love the solo on was/is “Empty Rooms”. Melodic and beautiful. Gotta listen to the album version though, not the radio version.

Gary could shred, and be soulful and melodic, and everything in between.

Porter, I'm getting "Video Unavailable" on the first video, and "Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner" on the second.

Keep in mind, I'm in Canadastan, so it might just be me, eh?

Last edited:
Gotta listen to the album version though, not the radio version.
Don't want to derail the thread, but whenever someone says that^^^, I always think of "My Sharona".

To me, it's one of the best structured solos I've ever heard. It just builds with more and more great licks and energy. It's one of my all time favorite pop/rock solos. But they butcher it in the radio version. Always leaves me feeling empty when I hear the short virgin of that tune.

Don't want to derail the thread, but whenever someone says that^^^, I always think of "My Sharona".

To me, it's one of the best structured solos I've ever heard. It just builds with more and more great licks and energy. It's one of my all time favorite pop/rock solos. But they butcher it in the radio version. Always leaves me feeling empty when I hear the short version.
Agree. One hundred percent

Porter, I'm getting "Video Unavailable" on the first video, and "Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner" on the second.

Keep in mind, I'm in Canadastan, so it might just be me, eh?
Yeah - the bottom video of the two (which is the excellent 1984 live version) forces me to watch on youtube. But the top one is OK. From here.

Back