GarageBand for cd album creation?

Bthiemann80

Straight up newbie to DIY at home recording and music production question here.

I have been using GarageBand to record songs for my band’s album. We are still a few weeks away from completion, but I am thinking ahead on how to get it to where I can burn the completed album on a cd and use that for duplication.

Does anyone know how best to do this or of any resources for info on it?

I’ve looked at a few YouTube vids but have not seen anything about getting the completed songs on to a album in cd format that is ready for commercial duplication and will function like a regular album cd.

Please go easy on me, lol I would not be surprised if I am off the mark on this one. Thanks!

You probably need to contact one of the CD duplication facilities. They'll tell you what you'll need with regards to copyright, ISRC codes, and anything else they need to create Redbook CDs. They can give your pricing with your choice of Digipack, jewel case, jackets, cover art, inserts, etc.

They usually have mastering services as well.

Thanks for the replies! I should have added that I am somewhat familiar with the idea that there will need to be a mix/mastering process before cd album creation. I will def be looking into what requirements commercial cd duplication companies require as well. Much appreciated feedback!

I have been under the impression that after the mix/mastering process with each track there is some “missing link” which would fall before commercial duplication.

I guess another way of putting it would be how can I go about taking the finished songs and putting them in order on a cd that can be copied so that the finished product/copied cd plays in a CD player like any other cd album on the market?

Some software - I used to use Sound Forge or Sony CD Architect - these would insert the ISRC codes - which you can get from various sources, and they would insert the gap between tracks, or miss it out when you want tracks to run on without stopping. Level wise - it's not a set figure as it's material dependent and instead of following rigid rules, I'd just look at the level of tracks that are similar and match them - a bit of typing, entering the meta data and that's it really. Get the suitable software and the meta data options are there. The Sony software still has a trial version available I think.

Some years ago I sent a master CD away for replication. That failed, and so did the second one I sent. There was a technical problem whose solution at the time was intractable. What I did in the end was take up their offer to create the master disk themselves. So I sent the individual tracks, and they put the master together.

Most places will offer that service, so it's always something you can fall back on if creating the master disk is a problem.

I have never created a CD for replication. HOFA is the reference I was given to create the DDP master *file* if that is something that you can submit to whatever replication provider you choose, if you want to have complete control over the final CD, i.e., vs. providing individual songs and hoping it turns out Ok, I suppose. I did play with the free versions of their software back a few years ago but have not tried them since. There are likely others in this business, but here's a link to start looking at, if you want to experiment.

I have been under the impression that after the mix/mastering process with each track there is some “missing link” which would fall before commercial duplication.

That stage is traditionally called mastering. What we tend to call mastering nowadays is only a small part of the traditional process where the end product would have been a master lacquer. Nowadays you would normally create a DDP file set for CD replication/duplication although some smaller duplicators may still insist on a master CD. Keith's suggestion of the HOFA software is good if you want a standalone program to do this but other software like Reaper can produce DDP files nowadays.

DDP 2.0 is the superior file type (actually, a set of files) for CD duplication. It has error detection built in. But a CUE/BIN set can also work. Either of those is technically a master, though an actual physical mold might be considered a master for a pressed (rather than burned) CD.

Back