Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears

Well here it is. I did pan the sax solos down the middle. Lets hope the mission is go!

Attachments

• BOOTTYBANDITSIV.mp3
    10.2 MB
Last edited:
Musicianship is excellent. Song kicks ass. Recording... not so much. This sounds to me like a mic was stuck on the floor in the middle of the band and just recorded everything. There;'s no width. The mix is muddy.

I hope I'm not too negative. This has a lot of potential. It's just not recorded very well imo.

Musicianship is excellent. Song kicks ass. Recording... not so much. This sounds to me like a mic was stuck on the floor in the middle of the band and just recorded everything. There;'s no width. The mix is muddy.

I hope I'm not too negative. This has a lot of potential. It's just not recorded very well imo.
Doesn't sound that way on what I am playing it on and you are the first to weigh in with any criticism of that sort? I will wait for more. I guess if it was the way it was recorded there isn't going to be much I can do about it. I can't go back an record it over again. Maybe I should just can it. There are around three hundred views and only three or four people responded, maybe the rest don't want to tell me it sounds like shit?

Last edited:
Doesn't sound that way on what I am playing it on and you are the first to weigh in with any criticism of that sort? I will wait for more. I guess if it was the way it was recorded there isn't going to be much I can do about it. I can't go back an record it over again. Maybe I should just can it. There are around three hundred views and only three or four people responded, maybe the rest don't want to tell me it sounds like shit?
Just one man’s opinion. Take it for what it’s worth.

As for the ratio of views to comments, that’s pretty standard. Look at everyone else’s posts and you’ll see the same thing. I’ll frequently open a thread and see it’s a genre I dislike (e.g. hip hop) and for which I can’t offer any constructive criticism. I’m sure others have similar reasons for not commenting.

There's a lot going on, but I don't hear muddy. Maybe a bit congested in parts. Maybe a bit too much compression? The vocals are nice and clear. The drums are a bit distant in their sound. The sax cuts through for the solo.

I try not to comment on mixes unless I'm either on my monitors or have my headphones handy. The crappy speakers in this Lenovo are worthless for any type of critical listening. Unfortunately, most of my reading has been on the laptop. I haven't been on the desktops with the monitors much lately.j This morning I had my headphones on listening to some tunes for a bit.

Good song that I enjoyed listening to. Good singer. Two mix issues for me: the attack on the sax notes needs some attention - they honk, which is okay, but they pierce, which pokes out. Maybe it can't be dealt with, but I'd be trying for a really fast attack compressor on it to soften it a bit. Second, the drums - I love the drum part, but it sounds a bit too out front, like it's sitting at the front of the stage and the rest of the band's ranged behind. I'd put more space on them (reverb, delay).

I am still working on it. It will be awhile. Thanx folks. I know I can't please everyone but, "This sounds to me like a mic was stuck on the floor in the middle of the band and just recorded everything", was brutal lol. The last mix I had a few instruments panned so, to narrow, I don't know? The first mix, that was pointed out to me and I remixed.

"It's just not recorded very well imo."
This song was recorded and mixed by the same engineer with the same equipment with the same people playing the same instruments.
Does this sound like the mic was stuck on the floor in the middle of the band?
If so then it is the way it is recorded and my stab at mixing is not going to help that much.

OK , to me this mix sounds Way better than the first one. I'm hearing better separation between the sax and guitars. There was a section near the end where the L/R guitars lost a lot of the power that they needed. (at 3:56) Definitely need to punch this little repeating guitar section. I totally agree with dobro about the sax honking . That's really what I was referring to in my first response about taming the sax attack . You may can tame some of it with EQ if you can find a repeating offensive frequency. (sweep it) I believe a fast attack/release comp. is in order. Drums could be a little brighter. You are making Great progress and getting it a Lot closer. Not far to go in my opinion. mark

Back