Fostex FD4 internal hard drive kit

marcelin

Hello from Argentina, I got a Fostex FD-4 , yes is a old machine, but is nice machine for a task than I must do, but I need to add a internal disk, in the service manual is named "the kit model 9045" someone know where I can buy such kit ?? or a place where I can buy the parts (cable, socket etc), here is almost impossible to find something for the FD4, I have paypal so there is not problem with payment, many many thanks!

PS: yes, I wrote to fostex, but till now, they do not respond :confused:

Last edited:
FD-4 help

Hello from Argentina, I got a Fostex FD-4 , yes is a old machine, but is nice machine for a task than I must do, but I need to add a internal disk, in the service manual is named "the kit model 9045" someone know where I can buy such kit ?? or a place where I can buy the parts (cable, socket etc), here is almost impossible to find something for the FD4, I have paypal so there is not problem with payment, many many thanks!

PS: yes, I wrote to fostex, but till now, they do not respond :confused:

Hi there, I had the same problem but wouldn't be beaten by the unavailable kit. Looking at the PCB, I studied the numbering on the empty space where the socket woud go and realized the it was pin for pin only smaller than a standard size IDE socket. There are actually more than 50 holes but the others don't matter except for the power. I cut the end off an IDE cable and painstakingly stripped and soldered the wires to the PCB. At the other end I used a 2.5" adaptor and I soldered a separate cable to the PCB for the power socket. I then secured a 2.5" 2Gb HDD to the body and prayed!! When I powered the unit on, the HDD was recognised and asked to be formatted! It took about an hour or so to format but it has been working ever since and I,m happy with it.

Hope this is of help!

Hey Fret,

Can you give me some more details on how to connect the power socket from the HDD to the main PCB?
Can't seem the find any info on the net about this.
Thanks!

FD-4 Hard drive installation

Hey Fret,

Can you give me some more details on how to connect the power socket from the HDD to the main PCB?
Can't seem the find any info on the net about this.
Thanks!

Did anyone ever get any more information about installing a hard drive on this unit?

Back