Field Recording with Pure Sine Wave Inverter and Lexicon Omega.

heskencren

Hi, I record in the field so there's no mains but a 12V leisure battery. The requirement is for recording only so no big power surges etc for playback peaks. A stable 240V power supply is required for the USB interface power adapter. It's only 20W at the 240V end supplying 1300mA of 9V AC. The Lexicon Omega 4-bus with phantom power has a 9V AC (yes AC) power supply input and so I cannot use a normal automotive DC-DC step down adapter!! (Field playback will be on phones or quality 12V stereo with studio speakers and the laptop runs from internal battery or its own 12V-19V DC adapter.)

• I don't know why it needs an AC supply if other stuff is able to run DC or is USB powered (DC). Perhaps it's to do with clocking but other audio interfaces seem to manage it - any ideas please?
  • I have read various reports of inverter sine accuracy and harmonic distortion vs load etc. Does anyone have an up-to date handle on this? How smooth is 3%? The current WIKI entry suggests that "pure sine wave" is still a bit notchy and therefore potentially noisy to some extent.
  • Also I see that the smallest available power inverters are typically 150W to 300W depending on the manufacturer. I am concerned that I'll have greater losses if the Inverter is too big and it's just more big stuff to get in the box - just a thought.

Maybe I get a 2 channel USB powered interface for the field and use the 4-bus Omega in the lounge. I have no Idea of quality/comparisons for this.
Thank you.

Back