Feedback on my Mix/Master... I'd like to finish the track up this week and I'm at my wit's end with it

Kroduscul

Mastered Version

Unmastered mix

For baseline reference this track is slightly musically inspired by The Jimi Hendrix Experience; Production-wise inspired by 1980s-2010s Indie (More specifically, the early Smiths albums or Mac DeMarco’s second album to put things in a more modern context)

I'd say that's pretty much finished. It has a great relaxed feel to it - all the players seem to understand how to groove together. If you want some nit picks then I'd suggest narrowing the guitars a bit and using a wide stereo sea sample rather than the mono sample you have at the moment. I'd also maybe ride the vocal level in places to make sure they aren't getting lost. I also wonder if the intro is too long - it doesn't sound anything like as interesting as the rest. But, whatever you do, try to keep the feel that you have at the moment.

Well don't be at your wits end - the way I see it is your guitar parts are stellar - really clean and forward - your drums should be brought up in the mix IMO - and the Bass needs to tighten up - it's very flabby and lose - and then there is your vocals - they are good but not confident at all - you sound like you are trying for a this riffing style - but IMO your vocals are there yet - sing it about 800 times - really like about 20 times a day for a week - then cut them again - that's my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Pretty nice. Kinda a John Meyer feel. I'd back off on the reverb on the guitars a bit - particularly the rhythm. Pleasant listen.

Nice .. I agree with @jamesperrett about narrowing the guitars a little. Maybe even another send putting some left guitar reverb to the right side and the same opposing reverb on the right guitar. Maybe thicken the vocals a little. Enjoyed the song ..
If you aren't on a deadline , I'd get away from it for a week or two. That usually helps me if I'm not quite satisfied with a mix 'master.
After a break it becomes quite apparent what needs to be changed. mark

My only nit-pik would be the ocean effect... at first it just sounds like distortion.
Try making it really "wide" and scoop the mid highs :)

Nice song, K. It's got a great vibe to it.

Like Japov, I thought "whats that noise" during the initial guitar opening. Maybe if you introduced the ocean sound before the guitar, it would set the tone and not sound like a mistake. As it stands, it doesn't really sound a lot like the ocean until you get to the end.

I think the guitar parts are a touch high compared to the vocal. Maybe they could come down a bit to blend better. They sound stellar, nice playing, clean and good tone. I tend to not mix too strongly left/right. I would narrow the stereo of the guitars but that's just my preference. Plus I would probably add a little bit of lower mid range to the vocal EQ to make it a bit fatter.

Back