...favorite drummers?

I have been seeing Abe Laboriel Jr. showing up in lots of spots. Of course he's been playing with McCartney for years in his touring band, played with Clapton and Sting. The other night, he popped up in the backing band for the Beach Boy's Grammy Salute.

Good solid drummer!

The older I get the more I appreciate Simon Kirke. Awesome snare tone. Also Bob Benberg(Bob Seibenberg), Clive Bunker and Roger Taylor

Last edited:
Clive Bunker
I've long felt that Clive Bunker is one of the great unsung heroes of drumming, particularly when one thinks of the way progressive rock drumming developed back in the latter part of the 1960s. On "Stand up" and "Benefit," he subtly frames so many of the songs in odd little time signatures and patterns and enables Tull to really fly in strange ways, but it made them kind of unique. Ian Anderson is rightly credited for his songwriting, but all of the band, particularly Clive Bunker, were vital in being able to actually do it. I've long thought that songwriting is overrated ~ actually creating, arranging and putting down songs is where the action and glory lies.
I love that Bunker left the band as they were becoming huge so that he could spend time with his new wife. What a trooper !
Roger Taylor
The Queen one or the Duran Duran one ? Both are good, but Queen's Roger has the better singing voice. 😄😁😆

I've long felt that Clive Bunker is one of the great unsung heroes of drumming, particularly when one thinks of the way progressive rock drumming developed back in the latter part of the 1960s. On "Stand up" and "Benefit," he subtly frames so many of the songs in odd little time signatures and patterns and enables Tull to really fly in strange ways, but it made them kind of unique. Ian Anderson is rightly credited for his songwriting, but all of the band, particularly Clive Bunker, were vital in being able to actually do it. I've long thought that songwriting is overrated ~ actually creating, arranging and putting down songs is where the action and glory lies.
I love that Bunker left the band as they were becoming huge so that he could spend time with his new wife. What a trooper !

The Queen one or the Duran Duran one ? Both are good, but Queen's Roger has the better singing voice. 😄😁😆
Queen. I never got Duran Duran.

Queen. I never got Duran Duran.
"Save a prayer," and "The Reflex" are two of the greatest singles of the 80s. "Rio" is one of the best of the 2nd division. Roger Taylor does some mean drumming there.....when he's needed.
Imagine being in a band with 2 other Taylors and none of them are related to you ! An entire rhythm section of Taylors !

Jim Keltner. Rocks and swings with subtlety and texture.
Earl Palmer. One of the best in 50s N'awlins music.
Kenny Aronoff. An absolute locomotive for rock.
Jay Bellerose. Gorgeous tone and touch, has a '40s Slingerland kit and uses mallets a lot.
Gilson Lavis (former Squeeze, now drummer for Jools Holland) is wonderful in that big-band setting.

...and of course, Hal Blaine, and quite a number of jazz cats...no particular list here.

C.

Back