External CDR/RW for Akai DPS12 v2

Headscratcher

Hi guys and gals!
OK, at the mo I have an Akai DPS12 hard disk recorder (which is great!). I want to add an external CD-R/RW drive via SCSI. The Akai has the requisite software (v2) for burning, but (and here's my prob) which damned unit should I buy?
I've been recommended a Plexwriter 4/2/20, any feedback?
I'd love to hear from anyone with a similar set-up who's burning beautiful CDs fro the DPS12.
Thanx!

Thanks, I'll try that. It seems very difficult to get any info on this subject from either Plextor or from Akai, both of whom (one would think) should be keen to help. My head is thoroughly scratched, so I'll probably just buy the Plextor and hope for the best!
...still, I suppose I should be happy - I have 12 tracks of uncompressed audio to play with...and lets face it, it's about what you put down on it, not the format of the end product (*sharp intake of breath*...heresy!)

Just a side note. I needed an external SCSI cdr/rw for my Korg D16. I went with the Yamaha 8-times external. I got it from dirtcheapdrives.com and was very happy with their sales and service. One good thing is they will let you return within 30 days.

I am very happy with the Korg D16, especially since the software version 2 was released. The hard drive could be larger (currently 2.1 gig), but the features like the touch screen and great effects make up for that shortcoming.

I have a dps 12, myself and I already have burner in my computer. So instead of buying another one, once i finish a mix on the dps12 i just dump through the midi port into my computer. Use cool edit pro to touch it up and do any further editing, then i convert it to a wav file and burn it to cd. It sounds remarkably clear, but i have never burned straight from the dps 12 so I can't really compare. I also have heard bad things about the akai operating system when it comes to the cd burning. I have tried to contact akai, but those guys have the worst customer service on earth. Does my set up sound like a good set up or am I smoking crack? Please let me know how you cds come out.

Back