Entry level recording software for musician??

metanoiachan

Hi everyone.

I'm wanting to buy something inexpensive entry level recording software as a christmas present, but I'm having trouble working out what would be best to buy with my limited knowledge. Any help is appreciated.

This would be for a bass player with several bands who has studied music but who has a more limited computer knowledge. I think the last time he owned/used mixing software was about 10 years ago.
He has a windows 8 laptop.
His aim is to record band practices and do some basic cleanup/editing/playback.
I don't know if multi-track is something he needs/wants.

I'm looking to spend up to $100 for something to get him started. I want to avoid subscription based products.

I'm looking at these options but I have limited music knowledge.

Sony Soundforge Audio Studio (AU$50)
ACID Music Studio (AU$80 - or AU$110 for both audio studio and music studio)
Music Creator 7 (AU$30)

I've been reading mixed reviews about all of these products.
At the moment I'm leaning toward Music Creator 7 as it seems to allow for multi-track editing as well as basic mixing and cleanup while having a low price point.
Or would I be better off spending a bit more and getting one (or both) of the sony creative products?

Is there other software that might be better??

for your budget, Reaper is a great choice. it is a very powerful DAW and the personal use license is 60 bucks. :thumbs up:

For simple recordings of a band rehearsal, he's going to need more than just software. He will need some way of getting audio into his computer. A 2 channel interface is good for that. Most are USB and all will come with some Lite form of a popular DAW software; like Sonar, Cubase, Pro-Tools. So, really don't need to go out and buy software if he gets a package with an interface.

He'll also need mics and cables, but I'm guessing he'll have those if he is already in a band.

Yeah, there's a lot of love for reaper on these forums. I recommend it.

If he just needs to record something and do some really minimal editing (e.g. trimming the beginnings and endings), it may even be worth just using Audacity (which is freeware)

... or PreSonus Studio One 3 Prime, which is also free but can do MIDI (unlike Audacity).

A couple of other free DAWs are Tracktion T4 and Zynewave Podium Free.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
After much research I decided to go with Reaper as it seems like it has the complexity if desired, but also does everything he's mentioned he wants to do as well.
Now the only frustrating thing is that I purchased a license and it has all my paypal details which go through into the program which is kind of awkward as it includes my name from before my divorce (paypal is harder to change than my bank details and drivers license!). Now hoping Reaper support can change that before christmas *sigh*... no idea why they did that and didn't just make it a license key like every other program or at least tell me anywhere through the purchasing process that it would have paypal details on the license as it might have changed my mind about buying it so I could have avoided this drama.

Back