Electronic Drums

bdam123

I have plans on doing some major recording using a Roland V Kit mainly because I can't afford studio time, a real drum kit, or enough mics and preamps for one even if I did have one at my disposal.

I've used Native Instruments Addictive Drums a few times but never for a real song. My main concern is getting the drums to sound as real as possible and as close to a great recording as I can.

Here is a link to a project I did for my drummer and DJ. This is all done with AD. What do you guys think of the sounds?
DJ B Easy X Frank Chase - Bang On Em Vol. 1

Also what is everyone's take on electronic drums in general? What do you guys think the program is? (Addictive, EZ Drummer, Studio, etc etc). In your opinion, how do they stand up next to real live drums? Have any of you done any real project with them that I can listen to?

All input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bump Also, I understand there is a link for a project I did. I swear this is not spam. I honestly would like to gain insight on this topic. Thank you.

Several people here have had good experiences using e-drums with sample libraries like AD or EZD. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head, though. Do a search in the drum section and see what pops up.

Personally, someday I'd like to get some edrums and run them with ezd or SSD. But won't be anytime soon.

peace,

Thats definitely understood. My main concern is getting a sound I can be proud of. The project I did for my drummer (linked in original post) isn't something I would be presenting to the world to represent myself sonically. It was just something we did for fun to boost our brand a little bit. If you guys don't mind giving it a listen I would like to know where you think it stands in terms of sounding like a real kit.

Obviously I'm not expecting to sound like Audioslave but I just want to be close enough where I'm not lookin like a fool.

What don't you like about the songs in the original post? The only thing I hear that could have been improved is some of the crashes in places sounded a little machine gun (you know where they sound the same back to back).

Its not that I dont like them its just that I'm not an experienced engineer/producer. Just want to know how far I am from getting great drum sounds.

@arcadeko pretty good sounding drums there. That gives me confidents.

ive only used ezdrummer, I just got fx somthing or other but i haven't even opened it. Ezdrummer is pretty awesome. Once you have the midi track recorded and apply it to EZD its basically like you have a perfectly recorded drum kit - you can remix all the drums, pan them, mix in overheads, mix in two snare mics, all kinds of crap - i have only played with it for an hour or so but its pretty impressive

Back