Duet Firewire, Garageband 10.0.3, I'm pulling my hair out.

pinkphiloyd

I purchased an Apogee Duet Firewire off of eBay. XLR input 1 doesn't work at all. I got out my multimeter and checked the phantom power and current there and it all seems to be good, so I'm not sure what that's about.

Both instrument inputs seem to be good.

XLR input 2 seems to work fine in the Maestro 2 software. Levels are adjustable, etc. However, when I go to record in Garageband (from XLR 2) everything goes to the right channel. I get nothing on the left side. If I set the input of the Garageband track to mono, I get nothing at all. I tried to lay something down in Audacity as well to make sure it wasn't just a Garageband issue, but I get the exact same results in Audacity. I've tried every adjustment I can think of. I've reinstalled Mavericks several times. Nothing.

Duet Firewire, Garageband 10.0.3.

At this point, I'm thinking it has to be a bad cable, maybe. So I've ordered a new firewire cable. Four bucks, no big deal. But I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions before I laid down 30 or so for a new breakout cable. Thanks.

I'm not sure what's going on here. Can you be thorough in your setup? What's going through the first input and what's going through the second? Also, where are the outputs going?

Anything that I've tried to record has been through input XLR 2. I haven't even attempted to use XLR 1 because I can't even get Maestro to recognize it. The only output I'm using is the headphone jack of the Duet. The only connection between the Duet and my Macbook is the firewire cable. I hope that's what you're asking. The unbalanced outs of the Duet aren't hooked up to anything, in other words.

If you plug a mic into XLR1 can you hear it in your headphones (set up for direct monitoring of course)?
Does the Apogee use a software mixer - if so, the input may have been turned down/disabled in the software.

Back