Drum Recording...I Must Be Doing Something Wrong!

I will say myself, that your post did seem a bit braggy. There are places designed for placing your works. Not so much in a thread about others questions. I understand you are trying to help man. It just came across the wrong way. Do not allow this to stop yourself from being a productive member of the forum. :D

If that's the case, I apologize. Not my intention at all. I don't think they are the greatest drum tracks. My point I meant to illustrate was that people always blame their room/mics/converters/daws....whatever. It was the first time I ever recorded drums. If you take your time, use well proven techniques, and the knowledge you can learn from listening to other's, you can make "usable" drum recordings at home.

What would I have to brag about? Half of what I have learned about recording came from this site.

Agreed. I just wanted to propose an alternate prospective so that you don't take one members comments as insult that would drive you away from the site. Many of us have learned much from it. I have and still do. Your contributions will help many others. Just keep in mind that others here might take offense of your presentation. Right or wrong, it is how you present that might be judged. You are good in my book showstone. :D

Make sure everything is tuned correctly of course. See if you can have your drummer play on a friend's set up to see if it sounds better maybe? Compare and maybe the drummer is the problem. :(

get 2 condensers and 2 dynamics use the recorder-man method on the overheads, and then mic up the snare and bass drum u might wanna dampen a lil, and tune or course. but my band did this and got a really good sound in an untreated room with decent acoustics and a tama swingstar.

+1..This is a great home recording setup, simple and effective. You'll need to experiment, get the mics where you want them for whatever sound your after. I have used a pair of audix fusion f15's with a an Audix kick and a 57 on the snare...Its like magic once you get everything where you need it. For me, it also makes mix down either to stubs or final much easier. For us 'homies' it can also mean less tracks on the DAW which can lead to less plugins' and therefore more CPU time for other tracks.
Best of luck!

I've only put off getting drum mics because when I recorded with a 4-track, I just stuck 1 mic in front of the drums and 1 at the snare and I kinda liked the sound...but that doesn't work with the new digital studio.

Why doesn't that work? If you like the sound you got with that method, why not stick with it until you learn more about what you want out of your drum sound?

Back