Drum Conundrum

AndyMan

Hi

1. I have Win 7 with a quad core, Berhinger 4ch. mixer and use Reaper

I am having a problem these days with good drums and recording. I have SSD4-EX (Steven Slate Drums). I also have a drummer who plays good but his kit sounds like doodoo.

My problem is the SSD4 Drums sound awesome but I can get the fills and nuances of my human drummer. I find I use a beat and stick with it through out the whole song. Perhaps I have not mastered the software enough. I would like to use my drummer but again, his kit sounds bad. What sounds bad? I think everything except the kick drum.

What would you recommend? Electronic kits are expensive. I thought about triggers. What else would we need beside that? I thought about the Steven Slate Trigger software. I tried the demo briefly and got it to kick a bass sample to everything on the drum track :-)

Thanks for any help

Hi Andy. Sample replacing everything is definitely the easy way out and the easiest way to get cookie cutter drum sounds. Not to say it doesn't have its place but with a good drummer, decent drums, and decent mics you can get some great sounds. As mdainsd said tuned drums are very important. As is the condition of the drum heads. Some people say to change your drums before every recording. For us home reorders that isn't too realistic. I suggest changing heads once they start having dents and getting hard to tune.

Mic placement is also very important. I would recommend starting with 4 mics if you have them. Overheads, kick, and snare. Once you have more experience with mic placement go crazy.

Heres a good place to start: https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...regs-general-guide-rock-drums-newbies-273077/

For tuning check out the bob gatzen series of tuning videos on youtube.

Back