Digidesign 001 on a present-day Mac?

I have an old 001 from 2003. Does your computer have a PCI slot?

But, I guess the better question is why?

For $200 you could get a much better interface and a DAW with modern features.

Because this is for the school studio, and budget is low due to school funding cut in BC. We might get a new mac as a donation, but I don't want to receive a new computer and then realizing the computer can't support the audio interface. The studio (well, more like our control room/lounge)is used to record our concert bands, choir, jazz band,etc... But it got torn down over the years and is extremely outdated. I want to make use of the equipment in the studio while spending little to no money on new gear to get it running. Is it completely impossible to make the old 001 work on the new macs?

cool! I don't know much about computers, but if you have a PCI slot on the mac, or if there is someway to get a PCI adapter (I don't know if that's even possible) I'll bet you could get it to work. But, I think the 001 only works with older versions of ProTools (like 6 and before). So if you have the old CDs with PT5 or PT6 it should work.

If you could squeeze $200 out of the tight budget, you can get an Maudio fasttrack pro (Interface) for $150 and Reaper (DAW) for $40, and have a MUCH better, faster, and modern set up.

well, I do plan to record full orchestras, choir with the piano miked as well,etc... Doesn't the fast track pro have only two analog inputs? ANYWAYS, *cough*, apparently I was told from a friend in the same field so to speak(also much older) that the newest Protools can run most audio interfaces, discontinued or on the market now. Perhaps a confirmation?

Yes they can... but without the hardware requirement there's no compelling reason to use Pro tools when there's so much better out there.

the 001 only has two inputs too, so you'd need to get 6 preamps to have all 8 inputs usable. If you want 8 inputs, it would be cheaper to get a new interface with 8 built it. I'd recommend a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 ($500), and Reaper ($40). If you need more than two inputs, the 001 isn't going to cut it, and if you're going to buy more preamps, it'll cost more than $500 to get 6 more channels, so you are probably better off with the saffire pro 40 because it has 8 built in pres.

well, I CAN use all 8 inputs on the 001. I have been using mixer channels as mic pres to route it to the interface. Plugged the mics into the channel and taking the signal back out with the insert on the channel, then inserts to the inputs in the back.

I'll probably go with buying a new interface now. I do have things to sell in the studio, old rhythm generators, a "training" mixer, some home stereo preamps, etc... I'm not too worried about mic pres, since I do have ways to get around. Thank you, I'll look into the teacher for placing equipment on sale now =) I'll still take suggestions for interfaces to buy though.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about a mixer. That would do the trick. There are a bunch of 8 channel interfaces all around the same $500-600 range and they are all really good and work with any DAW you want (as long as you don't want any protools before PT 9).

Here are some of the top contenders:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Moto 896
Maudio 2626
Steinberb 816x

I'm sure I left out a couple. I chose the Focusrite because it has 8 preamps, that you can get around if you wanna plug your mixer in or other pres, zero latency tracking, and it's slightly cheaper. I've heard really good things about the A/D converters in the steinberg, but I've also been really happy with the focusrite.

The focusrite interface looks appealing to me. I'll definitely look into it after we get rid of some of our old equipment. Thank you for all your inputs! I'll probably be posting more threads soon =P

Back