Difference between DP-008 and New DP -008 EX

Wonka

I was looking at the DP-008 but now there is an update DP - 008 EX. Price of DP-008 has fallen to $149. Price of DP - 008 EX is $299.

I am not swift enough to understand the difference in the two. Seems like the EX now has some extra mastering effects.

Doesn't seem like the EX is worth the extra $150.

If anyone can look at the new specs and knows what the older version can do I would appreciate comments on which is the better deal.

12 Frets Up,

Wonka

Specs for EX

The DP-008EX Offers Professional Recording with Plentiful Features in a Compact Package
Two XLR Inputs with Full +48V Phantom Power
The DP-008EX can supply phantom power for condenser microphones, even when operated with AA batteries.
(Notice: Operating time becomes shorter when used with phantom power supply. We recommend connecting TASCAM's BP-6AA when using phantom power.)
Grab Your Ideal Sounds with Insert Effects for All Inputs
The DP-008EX is designed with insert effects for all input channels. Insert effects include EQ, compressor, de-esser and exciter. For Vocal recording, you can use the EQ to boost your desired frequency range, and compress your tracks to normalize your song.
2-Band Shelving EQ for Each Track
Demo song needs the same high-quality as final masters. The DP-008EX has separately adjustable 2-band EQ for each track. Hi-range EQ can be adjusted from 1.7kHz to 18kHz, Low-range EQ can be adjusted from 32Hz to 1.6kHz.
Ideal for Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, etc. Utilize the DP-008EX's Built-In Effects
The DP-008EX has six different types of reverb to help tailor your ideal sounding vocals to any style song. Easily set your reverb with dedicated control knobs for each track.
Reverb effects include: Hall1/2, Room, Studio, Plate1/2. Reverb time and master level can both be adjusted.
Eliminate the Need for Any Other Products with Built-In Mastering Effects
The DP-008EX's built-in mastering effects will provide high-quality master-like file creation. The mastering effects include 2-band EQ, Multi-band compressor and Normalize effect. Finalize dynamic and powerful sounding songs by utilizing the DP-008EX's mastering effects.
The Auto Analysis Mastering Function Allows Easy Track Mastering
Anyone using the DP-008EX can easily master tracks with the Auto Analysis Mastering tool. In one step, select a mastering style, NATURAL or MAXIMUM, then the DP-008EX will make the calculation based on analysis of the song data.

DP-008EX

Eight mono tracks
CD-quality recording (16bit/44.1kHz)
Two tracks simultaneous recording/ eight tracks simultaneous playback
Dedicated stereo master track available
Record to SD/SDHC card (Up to 32GB)
2 Built-in omni-directional condenser microphones
Microphone sensitivity can be selected from 2-positions (Low/High)
Two TS 1/4" or XLR mic/line inputs
INPUT A can connect high-impedance instrument directly (Like an electric-guitar)
Phantom power supply
Independent LEVEL/PAN/Reverb SEND knobs for each track
Two RCA unbalanced line inputs
20mW/ch headphone output
Footswitch ready with polarity switching (Notice: can't use RC-3F)
128x64 dot-matrix LCD with backlight
Four AA batteries operation up to 6.5 hours (When recording, using the eneloop battery)
Insert effects for input channels (2-band shelving EQ, compressor, exciter, de-esser)
Mastering effects (2-band shelving EQ, multi-band compressor, normalize)
Auto analysis mastering function
2-band shelving EQ for each track
Reverb effects (Hall1/2,Room,Studio,Plate1/2)
Optional AC adapter ready (TASCAM PS-P520)
Can connect an external battery pack (TASCAM BP-6AA)
Direct locate function by jog-wheel
Repeat playback between IN/OUT point
Track edit functions(COPY PASTE, COPY INSERT, MOVE PASTE, MOVE INSERT, OPEN, CUT, SILENCE, CLONE TRACK, CLEAN OUT)
Bounce function allows recording of more six tracks
UNDO/REDO(UNDO HISTORY) function
Chromatic tuner and metronome included
High-speed data transfer by USB2.0 connection
Backup and restore songs
File import/export by Wav format (mono/stereo)
Export stereo master file as stereo wav format
2GB SD card included

EX upgrades

Hi,
probably too late but anyway, the main differnces between the 008 and 008EX are:
Mastering Effects
Input Effects
Stereo Wav file export function (this is the biggest added value)
New color (big deal)
Hope this helps for people who have the same question.

Can anyone tell me? I have a DP-008EX, and a friend has a DP-008. If I create a back up file of a song and send it to him, can he load it in his machine, edit it, and send me the new version? That is can we exchange the song files back and forth and do long distance collaborating?

Can anyone tell me? I have a DP-008EX, and a friend has a DP-008. If I create a back up file of a song and send it to him, can he load it in his machine, edit it, and send me the new version? That is can we exchange the song files back and forth and do long distance collaborating?
Actually yes I was surprised but the card is comparable between both as well as the dp006

Back