DI with tone shaping

type44

Hey All. New to the forum, but I've been playing bass and recording for 30+ years. Been out of it all for a while and just rekindling my interests.

I'm looking for some recommendations for a decent direct box for bass recording, but one with some tone shaping capabilities. There are a few out there from Seymour Duncan, Peavey, Aguilar, etc. Some are pretty steep in price, but some are low.

Has anyone had any personal experience with something like this, and willing to share your thoughts?

Thanks.

To get more than rudimentary tone control you'll need something active that requires more current than phantom power offers, so what you are really looking for is a preamp. Plenty of them feature balanced output if that's what you need.

Have you tried a Type 85? One bassist I know got one and it sounds fantastic. I do a little channel eq at the board to touch it up, but it's so good to begin with that I could go without if I had to. Passive direct boxes and the cheaper active ones just aren't the same.

Behringer gets a lot of props for their pod rip-off, Bass Vamp... and you might want to consider a Groove Tube brick if you just want a straight pre.

Behringer gets a lot of props for their pod rip-off, Bass Vamp... and you might want to consider a Groove Tube brick if you just want a straight pre.

I just got the Vamp and haven't had to much time with it but it has possibilities!

I got the POD Pro when it first came out for a little over $600... If it died today I'd replace it with the Behringer... nothing against Line Six, but this is one of the few pieces that those German thieves got right...

I got the POD Pro when it first came out for a little over $600... If it died today I'd replace it with the Behringer... nothing against Line Six, but this is one of the few pieces that those German thieves got right...

I know! I just skimmed through the 125 presets and thought they were all pretty cool, can't wait to start making my own combinations.

Yup... the presets are pretty much all have an exaggerated in your face tone that sound great alone but are targeted for the Guitar shop environment where you make your purchasing decisions. They're great starting points for dialing back on something that will sit comfortably in the mix...

Back