DFH & Reaper - Humanizing question

Vhyle

I'm using Drumkit From Hell in a multitrack setup in Reaper. But, I'm having difficulty trying to find out if I can disable humanizing on just one track instead of the whole kit. I want to dehumanize the kick drum, because I'm going for a more trigger-like sound, but leave the humanizing on the rest of the kit.

Is this possible?

If DFH is like EZD, then I believe the "humanize" function is either on or off for all parts of the drum kit.

If DFH is like EZD, then I believe the "humanize" function is either on or off for all parts of the drum kit.

Yup, it utilizes EZD. I was just wondering if I could humanize just one drum instead of all the kit.

I suppose I COULD make a second MIDI track for just the kick drum, add DFH to it, and disable all other drums but the kick. But that would be a huge pain in the ass.

Yeah I think copy and paste is all you can do. However, to keep the bleed and real sound you may want to copy the kick and quantize, then copy the humanized drum midi and mute all the other tracks. Make sense?

Oh I think you could highlight just the kick for the whole song and quantize that should do it.

Or conversely quantize everything, then highlight all but the kick and use reapers humanize.

Well, it looks like I can try a few different approaches to it. But from what I can tell - whichever way I choose, it will be a pain in the balls. I think for now I'll just concentrate on finishing writing the drum tracks, and worry about the kick sample later on.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, when you're in the midi view under EDIT there is a humanize function...you can humanize the velocity and timing. If you humanize with EZD, you may want to go super light on the Reaper humanizing just so you don't end up with some wack timing.

Also, one tip...before humanizing, glue the whole track together. If you have splits it sometimes makes things very weird.

Man, all this work for midi drums...the real thing is easier!

Yeah, no kidding! Being a drummer, I would much rather prefer just tracking the drums myself. But with my living situation, I can't even have drums here. I just sold my kit (which was in another state) anyway, so now I'm a drumless drummer.

I'll give Reaper's humanize feature a shot, though.

I spend so much time humanizing and getting the beat to sound real that i'd rather spend a few hours setting up and tracking the real thing. Plus it's so much more fun to work with real drums.

But, it is what it is and sometimes the real thing isn't an option.

But, it is what it is and sometimes the real thing isn't an option.

Correct, enter drum programming softwares.

I get the whole thing about the real feel and all that romantic stuff but here is the truth as seen from Atom Bomb.

Some people just can't play drums. However, they can hear great drum patterns and songs in their head. They want to get it out....

USe a drum programming thing. Problem solved. They are just a songwriting tool. Some people use it for their end result.

It isn't anything to develop a guilt complex over. Make your song. Post it here. Make it better. I used to hate it when i read stuff like "get a real drummer" or "those drums sound like shitty fabricated drums"

It isn't the composers fault? I am sure if they had the choice getting a real drummer would have been an option.

I dunno. Do what you gotta do to get by i say.

Correct, enter drum programming softwares.

I get the whole thing about the real feel and all that romantic stuff but here is the truth as seen from Atom Bomb.

Some people just can't play drums. However, they can hear great drum patterns and songs in their head. They want to get it out....

USe a drum programming thing. Problem solved. They are just a songwriting tool. Some people use it for their end result.

It isn't anything to develop a guilt complex over. Make your song. Post it here. Make it better. I used to hate it when i read stuff like "get a real drummer" or "those drums sound like shitty fabricated drums"

It isn't the composers fault? I am sure if they had the choice getting a real drummer would have been an option.

I dunno. Do what you gotta do to get by i say.

Yeah, I've seen many comments on that.

As far as my programmed drums, I've gotten a lot of compliments on how realistic the programmed drums sound. In fact, a lot of them didn't even know they were programmed. But it's because I am a drummer - I've been playing for 15 years. I programmed the drums to my album to closely mimic my own playing. I spent a TON of time, doing very tedious work detailing all the accents, fills, and everything else you can imagine. So yes I agree - it all boils down to the composer. A lot of solo guitarists (or whatever other instrument) who program drums don't really know how to change, or even think about the small details for a more realistic effect. People who make those ignorant comments on how fake the drum sounds don't think of what goes into drum programming, and the composer's actual level of drum ability (or lack of it) and knowledge.

When I say I would rather just record them, I say that because 1) recording drums is easier than doing tedious MIDI programming, 2) playing drums is fun as fuck, and 3) recording drums is just as fun. Obviously, programming has its advantages as well, like changing a drum fill easily, instead of having to re-record it. But, real drums are real drums. Either way, whichever approach I make to my music, I will make it sound as best as I can, whether I program the drums or actually record them.

Yeah, I've seen many comments on that.

As far as my programmed drums, I've gotten a lot of compliments on how realistic the programmed drums sound. In fact, a lot of them didn't even know they were programmed. But it's because I am a drummer - I've been playing for 15 years. I programmed the drums to my album to closely mimic my own playing. I spent a TON of time, doing very tedious work detailing all the accents, fills, and everything else you can imagine. So yes I agree - it all boils down to the composer. A lot of solo guitarists (or whatever other instrument) who program drums don't really know how to change, or even think about the small details for a more realistic effect. People who make those ignorant comments on how fake the drum sounds don't think of what goes into drum programming, and the composer's actual level of drum ability (or lack of it) and knowledge.

When I say I would rather just record them, I say that because 1) recording drums is easier than doing tedious MIDI programming, 2) playing drums is fun as fuck, and 3) recording drums is just as fun. Obviously, programming has its advantages as well, like changing a drum fill easily, instead of having to re-record it. But, real drums are real drums. Either way, whichever approach I make to my music, I will make it sound as best as I can, whether I program the drums or actually record them.

I would actually love to see a thread on how to do all those little programmy tricks on MIDI drums... "humanizing" can just bugger up the timing if applied at all heavily. I usually adjust each and every hit in some way or other, but still getting realistic snare and tom rolls can defeat me. And anything other than pretty basic on the hi hats ain't so easy either.

Trouble is, not being a drummer, I don't actually know exactly how to map the subtleties of how they're played... I get the basic pattern but then I'm usually playing around at random to make it less machiney, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Feel free to share! :)

I would actually love to see a thread on how to do all those little programmy tricks on MIDI drums... "humanizing" can just bugger up the timing if applied at all heavily. I usually adjust each and every hit in some way or other, but still getting realistic snare and tom rolls can defeat me. And anything other than pretty basic on the hi hats ain't so easy either.

Trouble is, not being a drummer, I don't actually know exactly how to map the subtleties of how they're played... I get the basic pattern but then I'm usually playing around at random to make it less machiney, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Feel free to share! :)

Ya know, I just might! I'll put together a thread on some small tutorials on creating realistic drum programming. I think a lot of people here would enjoy that. Thanks for the idea. :)

I'll start working on it probably tonight. I can't guarantee when it will be finished, but I'll put it together.

Ya know, I just might! I'll put together a thread on some small tutorials on creating realistic drum programming. I think a lot of people here would enjoy that. Thanks for the idea. :)

I'll start working on it probably tonight. I can't guarantee when it will be finished, but I'll put it together.

That would be awesome... I'll keep an eye out for it..:D

Back