DAW Alternative to Cubasis 3

derekp

Got a show coming up and unfortunately when practicing, Cubasis 3 started crashing. I was using a couple instrument tracks with my midi keyboard and integrating Koala sampler as an audio input that would play my instrumentals. Now I don't trust the DAW to work during the show without crashing.

All I want is a simple app that will let me 1) play an instrumental and 2) have some built in instruments and let me play my midi keyboard.

Thanks!

So have you got Le on your home computer, and you're running unlocked, rather than demo? being honest, Despite being a Cubase user for hundreds of years, I'm very sceptical about using pads and phones to run a show? Cubase or Cubasis on a small laptop maybe - but my experience with pads and phones as simply ways to adjust in-ears, or to trigger expensive players is pretty poor. Wi-fi interference and strange behaviour from other installed apps you thought were switched off make me wary. Maybe Cubasis on an empty pad would be fine, but once other stuff, especially games, are also on there - I don't have much confidence in stability. I doubt it is Cubasis, to be honest - probably something grabbing memory or not releasing it. They are workable as controllers but I too don't really think they are suitable as reliable playback systems. I use two macbooks - which are pretty reliable, but with a dual control box, so if one does freeze, playback can continue on the other as they fire up at the same time - and this system is used by everyone who hates risks. Pads are the bottom of the tree really. I don't think the problem is cubasis- but why not just delete it and reinstal? It could be stable ....... until it's not.

So have you got Le on your home computer, and you're running unlocked, rather than demo? being honest, Despite being a Cubase user for hundreds of years, I'm very sceptical about using pads and phones to run a show? Cubase or Cubasis on a small laptop maybe - but my experience with pads and phones as simply ways to adjust in-ears, or to trigger expensive players is pretty poor...
I have Cubasis 3 on my iPad only. It's a basic iPad, but a new one. I figured out what's wrong. Yes, I did do a re-install, and then I determined it's the third-party inter-app or audio units function that either the iPad couldn't handle or Cubasis didn't like. Instead of using Koala inside Cubasis, I ended up putting on my instrumentals on one audio track, one after the other, and going from there. It's just one long session, and they're all Mp3s so I've not experienced a problem since. It's also nice that I can now just hit play in Cubasis and not have to go up or down to a midi track every time as I can simply figure out what instrument I'm using first, then play the session. Not exactly what I had in mind, but it's not bad at all. I'm going to see if I can throw a limiter on the audio track with the instrumentals. I can also adjust the level right from the track, so I'm excited for the show.

That's excellent you found the problem. Interesting how you've found a way around using cubists like this!
Just an update to this. I think the issue was rooted in the fact that I was adding entire songs to the sample slots in Koala, which is a little much in terms of processing power. So instead, what I did is, like I said previously, put all my instrumentals (mp3) on one track, and had a selection of a couple of loops in Koala and used it via the audio units function in Cubasis. Everything worked out great. No shutdowns during last night's performance. :) Now if I can just figure out a way via Midi Learn to have the volume fader be specific to each instrument, rather than be a global parameter. In other words, when I adjust the volume in real time on say a grand piano instrument, it also unfortunately adjusts the volume on an electric piano instrument. Might not be a way around that...

Back