Curser/Split Marker And Time Lines

Ed Fones

Does anybody know what settings have to be adjusted to stop the curser jumping to a time line marker when editing?

So for example I have used 'S' to split a track. If I want to move that 'split marker' slightly to be more exact, then if there is a nearby time line marker, it jumps to that unless I zoom right in which makes editing more cumbersome.

How do I stop this so I can put the 'split marker' where I want?

My guess would be this setting:
Options > Preferences > Editing Behavior > first line, is it checked? 'Move edit cursor to start of time...' Uncheck it, if it is!

Thanks but I just looked and that box isnt checked.

I have checked .......Move edit curser when pasting/inserting media...............Link loop points to time selection.................automatically delete empty tracks by dragging items below the last track and back...............If no items selected some split/trim/delete actions affect all items at the edit cursor..............Stretching razor edit area adds stretch markers to audio items.

Turn off Snap to Grid!

I don't know where it's found in your software but that's all you have to do. It might be called something else in Reaper 'Snaps' or 'Snap Increment.' Most of the time you want Snaps on so don't forget to switch them back on. You're not stuck with the default Snap increment either, if you're moving a whole chorus, I'd set the Snap Increment to 'Measure', if you're editing hi hats, you might want it set to an 1/8th note or even a 1/16th.

Snap to Grid is the little icon that looks like a sideways horseshoe magnet. Or you can use the keyboard shortcut ALT S on a PC to toggle between off and on.

Back