Cubase Input: Mic or import MIDI

whymark

Opinions Please....I am doing solo piano work with a Yamaha Disklavier (acoustic piano with a digital component) that creates MIDI files and saves them to a floppy. To get these files into CUbase I can, 1) play them through the mics -> Yamaha n8 mixer -> premp-> Cubase or 2) import the MIDI files directly into Cubase. Which is better? I don't have a control room in my "studio" and thought that by importing the MIDI files I could monitor them better while working with them. Obviously monitoring the mixer output with the piano playing is impossible but, desirable because the n8 has compression and reverb built into it's circuitry. Your thoughts

thanks\

mark

Well recording with mics will sound like a real piano, MIDI will work if you have a very good piano VSTi - MIDI is data, not audio. If you like the Yamaha sound, then record the piano, assuming you are proficient at miking, have good mics and a nice sounding room. MIDI can be very handy with a Disklavier can be useful for editing your tiny mistakes, the replaying and recording - but I'm not sure why you are looking at compression - unless you don't want a natural sound, but a processed one?

Thanks Rob, I've got the proficiency, good mics and a nice room so I'll go that route. I use compression, EQ and reverb to change the sound of the piano to better match the mood of the project e.g, honkey tonk Vs concert hall and the like. Still lurning
mark

Back