Could this be a good tool to manage music projects?

Sebastian_2107

Hi, I've been thinking about developing a special tool for artists and music producers, this is software to collaborate online and manage projects with multiple people, being able to help those people who find it difficult to organize music projects, such as collaborations, albums, volumes, or others. And where this tool helps you to have a productive, effective, and above all communicative workflow based on roles where ideas can land. It also allows you to organize files and versions of projects, etc.

What do you think? I will be very open to hearing your opinion! :)) it would be very useful for me!

A get rich quick scheme.
I have spent a career working in software design, where version control for a whole design team is crucial.
It gets more complicated when several different companies work on one project.
There are branded solutions to the problem, which I have seen companies latch onto, but they are usually lacking.
It is easy to come up with a half baked scheme, and steam-roller anyone who criticises it,
but what they usually lack is a thorough understanding of the problem.
You need to understand the difference between a Version, and a Revision. Versions are brothers, but Revisions are sons.
You must cater for a whole family tree of versions and revisions - OF EVERYTHING.

Who controls it? Maybe nobody, or maybe anybody.
You might start a branch of a project, and think you control it. But someone else, with far more imagination, may run with a far more interesting branch.
Just a few thoughts for you Seb.

It sounds like the basic idea behind things like Dropbox, Slack, Google Drive and others. Project files are relatively easy to keep for something like a music project, although the amount of data storage might be somewhat high.

There are already collaboration software tools available too. Where does your software idea reside relative to the file sharing and collaboration programs? What needs are you looking to fill. Also, will you require some type of cloud storage system, or are you thinking peer to peer?

What might be more important, and difficult to control, is things like plug-ins and such. I might have paid software that I use, that another member doesn't own. In that case, it would necessitate that I use rendered or stem files. How do you deal with such instances?

Just a few things you might need to consider.....

Reactions: TAE
We use Google workspace at my job for essentially the same thing, lots of free tools to use. And you can meet virtually for free with Google Meet.

Reactions: TAE
We use Google workspace at my job for essentially the same thing, lots of free tools to use. And you can meet virtually for free with Google Meet.
Das Google is good....I swear by the drive and it's powerful secure hardware space "in the cloud". Google is the third largest manufacturer of servers in the world and they only make them for themselves...kind of crazy right?

What Talisman said..you're going to have to one up the big boys to surpass what they already offer which is a lot of what you proposed to do.

I don't even know what a communicatative workflow actually is?

The trouble with this stuff is often that the person hawking the system, never actually uses it in the industry it was designed for. All the ones I have ever had inflicted on me didn't do what I wanted, but did lots of what the out of industry area designer, thought we did?

Give us some examples of what it can do for us? That might be interesting?

Well, "communicative workflow based on roles where ideas can land" sounds like business jargon. Not a good sign where music or any art is concerned.

Back